Falmouth Over The Years

Falmouth Travel Blog

Falmouth Harbour

As I said in the intro to this blog I've been going to Falmouth every year of my life and once again we have a cottage booked for this Easter - there must be something good about the place.  The weather?  We've had anything from torrential rain and gailforce winds to blazing hot sunny days where it's been warm enough to go in the sea - well, it seemed warm enough until you actually got in!  But whatever the weather has been like we have always found something to do.

On warm sunny days there are plenty of beaches to choose from.  My favourite, and the one that we have spent the most time on over the years, is Swan Pool beach.  We've built many a sandcastle on this beach and one time we even built a kind of helter-skelter type thing in the sand by digging a big hole then carving out a runway for a tennis ball to roll down.

Pendennis Castle
  As I've grown older and the novelty of building a fortress of sandcastles has worn off (although not completely) we have occupied ourselves by other means including cricket, football, rounders and catch.  I do seem to remember playing badminton one year although I can't see that work out too well given how windy it usually is.  My mum has actually been going to Falmouth for many, many more years than me as she had family down there and she tells me that Swan Pool beach used to be very pebbly - it is now mainly sandy so it just shows how strong the forces of nature are.

There's always been time for walking whilst in Falmouth and there are some very nice coastal walks between beaches.  We have also got a small boat from Falmouth harbour (the third deepest natural harbour in the world and the start/end of many round the world sailing expeditions) to the small village of Flushing.

Yacht in Falmouth Harbour
  It is the very same boat that has been doing the Falmouth-Flushing crossing, which takes about half an hour, for as far back as I can remember.  Once in Flushing it is usually a walk followed by an ice cream.

We have also visited Henry VIII's twin castles of Pendennis and St Mawes, which played a key role in the defence of the nation by defending the Fal Estuary.  The castles have been great to visit both when I was really young and in more recent years and I can vividly remember sitting on the cannons looking out to sea at Pendennis castle.

There is one last thing that must be mentioned about Falmouth.  Being a Cornish town Cornish Pasties are a must!  Cornish Pasties are in a class of their own in the pasty world.

Falmouth Harbour
  Maybe you've had a pasty from Greggs bakery, or another similar food chain.  They may even have some that are labelled 'Cornish pasties'.  Don't be fooled! These are fakes!  They taste nothing like a Cornish Pasty made in Cornwall.  Damn it, now I've got myself craving a Cornish Pasty.

2009 Update:
This year we went to Poldark Mine.  It wasn't overly exciting but the deepest post box in Britain is found there.  It is 150ft below ground and people actually get married there!  Of course, I sent a postcard to myself from there.  The highest post box is on Ben Nevis, by the way.

Falmouth Clock Tower
Falmouth Clock Tower
The Cornish coast
The Cornish coast
The Cornsish Coast
The Cornsish Coast
Falmouth
The depest postbox in Britain.  15…
The depest postbox in Britain. 1…
41 km (25 miles) traveled