UPDATE!~

Santiago Travel Blog

me and franziska at the first asado
I think I owe an apology to all avid readers, since it has been a week since I last posted an entry. Where to start...

Last Weekend:
All of my classmates and I had a huge asado(basically a get together where you grill out) last Friday. There was a lot of good food and it was nice to get to know my classmates better. Then, we headed out to a discoteca(dance club) and danced to 5am. We spent all day Saturday trying to book a hostel for Valparaíso(Valpo for short). Finally, around 4, we managed to find a hostel with room for all of us gringos. We caught a bus and were there before 7! 8 of us wandered around Valpo for a while and sat in a little cafe up on the hills, then the whole group went out for dinner--mexican of all foods. Then a few of us went out to find another discoteca! We were out until 5 again! The rest of the group said they would be getting up at 9 or so for breakfast, so I got up at 7:30 to get my run in(with only 2 1/2hrs of sleep) and then noone else got up til 11! Such is life.
political graffiti in valpo. it's pretty interesting to read all of the opinions in graffiti. I really like it.
We got to the beach in Viña del Mar(another nearby town) by 3. It was a pretty overcast day, but that meant nobody got burnt. A few of us played some beach soccer, and we headed back to the bus station by 6. When we got to the bus station we found out that they didn't have any room on buses to Santiago til 10:30, and even then we weren't sure they'd have room for all 12 of us. Luckily, we found a guy who shuttled to and from Santiago in a van, and got back for a little bit more money. I was home by 9 and dinner was on the table by 9:30, and then I was out for the night to catch up on sleep.

This week:
Classes have been going really well. I didn't realize how much Spanish I don't know!!! My family is a big help with my spanish as well. My doorman has even told me that I am much better at it already(that's a good sign!). We are learning so much grammar that I thought I already knew well, but apparently didn't. Other than class, I have been really getting along with my group of friends(mainly Australians). I just might come home with an Australian accent if I keep this up! I am sure you guys will hear all about the people I am hanging out with in due time.

Last Night:
We had another asado last night for 4 girls' birthdays: Claire, Grace, Kathleen, and Marie. I am closest friends with Claire and Grace of the 4. It was on the rooftop of the one girl's apartment building, so a pretty good view, especially for last night's lunar eclipse! We also had some mixing with Chileans last night, which is always good for practicing spanish and learning culture. I managed to stay up til 5 again dancing! I also got up 3 1/2 hours later this time to run, and got one of my best runs since getting back into shape in(4.5miles at 7:30min/mile!). I am really enjoying myself here(maybe a little too much???) and hopefully I am learning just as much!

I'll try to be more consistent in the future, but for now, I am going to sleep!
jwildavis says:
Hi Jill! I am thrilled to hear how well things are going and that you've made several good friends. It sounds like you're finishing dancing around the same time I'm getting my morning newspaper!

4.5 miles at a 7:30 clip!? I'll never again brag about running 4 miles in less than 36 minutes.

Take care and God Bless.

Uncle Jeff
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
miem says:
Jill, You make me tired just reading your entry but it does sound like you are having a wonderful time--some grandmotherly advice, however, is for you to get enough rest and sleep. As I keep advising, take care of yourself while you are learning and having a good time. Love you always! Miem
Posted on: Feb 22, 2008
me and franziska at the first asado
political graffiti in valpo. its …
political graffiti in valpo. it's…
Santiago