The mountains have come to us

Dehra Dun Travel Blog

At the college of art.

We arrived into Delhi yesterday to a scorching 34 degC and we couldn't wait to get up to the mountains.  When we woke this morning, it felt like the mountains had come down to us.  A cool change had brought the temperature to about 24 degC.  On the streets, cyclists and motorcyclists had their woollen shawls or wraps on but confidently steered their way through the dodgy Delhi traffic.

Kim's parents (Pat & Fiona), Kim and I were driven up to Dehra Dun in the foothills of the Himalayas by Pat & Fiona's hired driver.  The drive took about 6 hours.

Soon after arrival, we were greeted by Kim's sister (Jo) and Pat's half-sister-in-law Nandini.

By royal appointment.

Nandini runs an art school in Dehra Dun along with her father.  Both are accomplished painters but her father is renown for doing portraits of the former royalty.  As for something a bit different, he had also done live war scenes!

Nandini was extremely hospitable throughout our visit, cooking lots of tasty food for us.  In the extreme, she had bought a minivan for Jo's visit.  One problem though ... she hadn't driven in years and asked Jo to drive.

Jo bravely but reluctantly accepted the challenge of driving in a country where anarchy rules on the road.  Imagine if she had struck someone, or worse a cow (sacred animal).  Hhmmm ... perhaps it would have been worse if Nandini drove, seeing that she's quite rusty with her driving.

By the way, I bought a prepaid local SIM for my mobile in Dehra Dun.  Like my Malaysian SIM, it costs about EUR0.05 per minute to ring to most countries in the world.

Dehra Dun