In the Newspapers (again)
Jaisalmer Travel Blog› entry 25 of 30 › view all entries
Here are some interesting snippets from the Indian newspapers.
There was comment that Chinese generally mistrust India. There are two apparent reasons:
- Chinese children are taught in their school history lessons that India was aggressive in how they secured the lands (Tibet-like areas in the North East) near China. They aren't taught about Tibet in a very different perspective though.
- Chinese have an inferiority-complex when they view themselves against Indians. This is due to the richness India's culture and besides India gave them Buddha. Hhmmm ... I don't quite buy this one.
Arranged marriages are still the norm in India. Looking a the Matrimonials (ie. Personals) ads in the newspaper, I couldn't help noticing that most of the responses were to be directed to Mrs X (presumably the mother of the seeking party). It is very competitive and attributes boasted or sought include::
- qualifications (MBA, IT ... even for girls, and convent-educated ... for girls only I guess),
- caste (if Hindu, presumably),
- religion (Sikh, Syrian Catholic, born-again Christian, Shite, Sunni etc),
- language (Hindi, Marathi, Telugu, Malayalam etc)
- other features (Australian PR, USA H1 Visa).