New career on the Flying Trapeze?

Bintan Travel Blog

Off and prepare to turn around.

My mum had two pieces of travel advice she kept reiterating for as long as I can remember (about 20 years).  They are:

• When you go to China, you must take an umbrella because the toilets have no doors.  This piece of advice is now obsolete.
  • The next advice is "You must go to Club Med".

I took her second advice and brought her and step-dad along ... more as a present for her.  Fortunately, I was able to step-dad's Singapore address to qualify for local rates.

I thought that three buffet meals a day would be hard on the body but I never felt that bloated.  The facilities were good and I worked off the food pretty quickly with archery, swimming and scaring myself on the trapeze!

Club Med Bintan (in Indonesia, one hour ferry ride from Singapore) has a Circus School (as they call it).

Hanging by the back of my knees.
  Having seen other guests try trapezing and say it was easy, I decided to have a go:

• I climbed up about three storeys high and walked on to a suspended platform before grabbing the suspended bar ... all this was scary enough.
  • Then I pushed myself off while hanging by my arms.
  • I kicked my legs up to pass through between my arms so that the back of my knees were supporting me, then let go of my arms ... so I was hanging head down.
  • After swinging this way for while, I reached up to grab the bar again and let my legs down.
  • Then I dropped myself off on to the safety net!

This was one of the most thrilling things I've ever done in my life!  And believe me, it was easy.  I want to make a career out of this, I thought.  I had two goes in total ... both successful.

Don't waste your money on Cirque de Soleil when it is something anyone can do.  In fact, two other guests (a Taiwanese and an Australian) got invited to perform at night after a couple of hours training.  These two women did what I described above, before being caught by professional artiste on a second trapeze.  I was terribly envious that they had been given the opportunity.

Actually, all the skill is in the catcher, not the guest being transferred from one trapeze to the other.  So, I won't give up my day job just yet ... there is considerable skill involved.

Eric says:
Wow, this looks fun! Didn't know places offered things like this :)
Posted on: Dec 08, 2006
Hanging by the back of my knees.
Prepare to grab the bar again.
Prepare to grab the bar again.
Prepare to drop off ... I want to …
Prepare to drop off ... I want to…
photo by: metsbwd