AsiaIndiaMumbai

Arrival in Mumbai and more

Mumbai Travel Blog

Taj Hotel ... we didn't stay here, but we weren't far off.

Arrival

Third time in India and arrival is still a shock to the senses.  The night drive from Mumbai's Chatrapati Shivaji International Airport into the city took us through hordes of people sleeping on the roadside outside their shacks and by dumpsters.

I still have vivid memories of a whole row of people squatting by the roadside answering nature's call one early morning in Varanasi in 1994.  Perhaps, visitors driving down to town from the Mumbai airport in the early morning would have been subjected to that sight.

I sometimes wonder why there is over-population in India.  The heat, humidity and grime is certainly not conducive for intimacy.  I cringe when I have to shake someone's sweaty hand!

Accommodation

Property in Mumbai is expensive and hence so are the hotel rates.  We chose simple accommodation ... the hotel appeared to have a guard-rat by the front door and our room came with a free pet cockroach.  We trapped the cockroach under an inverted rubbish bin for the duration of our stay.

vances says:
Have you read "Maximum City"? I found this eye-opening and would be curious how acurately you feel this captures Mumbai.
Posted on: Dec 08, 2006
hannajax says:
would you recommend going to mumbai?
Posted on: Nov 07, 2006
Taj Hotel ... we didnt stay here,…
Taj Hotel ... we didn't stay here…
Mumbai