morning in Galway and hiring a car

Galway Travel Blog

the Spanish Arch

Although a dream of Catherine, the hot German girl sleeping below me, had woken me up at 4:00 in the morning, I got up for the day at 8:00am.  Unable to find a travel companion in any of my roommate, I ventured out on my own to see the Spanish Arch.  Having only eaten a Power Bar for supper the previous night, hunger got the better of me and I took a seat at O’Dease where I ordered the “vegetarian breakfast,” a traditional dish of eggs, beans, tomato, and toast.  It was a delicious and nourishing blend of flavors.   The Arch was not very attention grabbing, so I snapped one picture and went downtown to get my car.

I picked up my rental car, a Nissan Almera, at half-eleven (i.e., 11:30) and forgetting once more walked straight for the left side of the vehicle.  It was an interesting experience to operate the stick shift from the passenger side and drive on the wrong side of the road.  Interestingly the pedals and gear shifter are arranged in the same orientation as American cars.  After a stop for directions at the Tourist Information Office, I started out of town.

Squeezing down a narrow street crowded with parked cars, I nervously clenched the wheel and favored left for fear of collision with oncoming traffic on the right.  Suddenly I heard a “crack” as my side-view mirror folded back against another on a parked car to my left.  I pulled over to make sure the collision had done no damage to the other car and to find the plastic cover that had popped off my mirror and slid under another parked car.  Having reassembled my mirror and now acutely aware of my Almera’s dimension, I continued on my way without further incident.
photo by: AleksandraEa