departing Connecticut for a month abroad on my own

Newark Travel Blog

After confirming over the phone with my friend Mike that he would give me a ride to the airport, I ran out quickly to Wal-Mart for a toiletries bag at and came home to complete my itinerary.  My buddy Romans was visiting to send me off when Mike arrived at 3:00pm.  Frantically I raced to compile my hostel options to and e-mail myself all of my research, so I would have access to it from the internet.  Further elevating my anxiety, my computer crashed before I could print my Ireland and Scotland rooming choices, but there was no time to try again.  I finished packing my bags while my computer rebooted and I e-mailed the hostel web sites to my student account rather than print them, but the question remained if I would be able to get at them when and if the need should arise.

At 3:30, I had bowl of Special K Red Berries cereal and Mike took out the trash for me.  He shut down the computer while I washed the dishes and we left at quarter-to-four.  Traffic stressed us out, but we reached Bradley at 4:20 and Mike dropped me off at the curb by Continental Airlines.  Check-in was instantaneous, but the security line was long.  After a thorough five-minute wand down and personal items inspection, I approached Terminal A2.  I boarded the tiny (3-seat wide) plane, flight 3370, at 6:00 and we left the ground at ten after.  I relaxed to the gentle sound of air vents blowing while the flight attendants delivered safety instructions.  I love the rush of tearing down the runway.

An mp3 player would have been useful on the short but comfortable hop an hour after takeoff.  From the air, Connecticut appeared to be about 80% forest and 10% water with the remainder the scars of civilization.  Beyond the moss covered hills and puddles, we landed at nearby Newark Liberty in Jersey and exited the cozy jet.

There it was through the terminal window, the glorious Bowing 777!  By 8:15, I was riding one of the world’s most impressive examples of concurrent engineering.

photo by: Fitnessguru729