depart Ireland for Wales

Dublin Travel Blog

In contrast to the traditional splendor throughout the emerald isle, the capital of Dublin displays more of a European atmosphere in its modern architecture, commercialization, and multi-cultural population.  Yet, a warm and familiar charm seeps through in subtle ways.  The whispering Celtic sounds of a street performer’s flute and the light, almost welcome, rain provided for my city walk a truly Irish feel.  Along the quays, however, the air was so polluted with vehicle emissions that it was difficult to breathe and the once pristine, white Georgian buildings were blackened with soot.

It was quiet away from the city center with few people around, so to get directions, I entered the first business I found.  At the Dublin Docklands Authority office, a very obliging woman called the ports to check for me the ferry schedules and pointed me in the right direction.  The ticket seller at the DART station also took pity on me and gave a free pass because they cannot accept credit cards or British pounds and I had only a few euro cents on my person.

Rolling into Dún Laoghaire station, the sun finally began to break through the clouds for the first time in two days - just as I was about to leave the country.  I charged my ticket (32€) for the 99-minute, 11:10am ferry to Holyhead.  As I boarded the vessel, I reflected on my ten-day island tour and knew I would truly miss Ireland for its beauty, culture, history, and fine communities.  Someday, I shall return.
photo by: fransglobal