arriving in Ireland by ferry

Rosslare Travel Blog

Rosslare Ireland. 180 stairs to climb with my 22kg pack - it got tough after around 75 steps

I slept briefly in transit on the larges boat I had ever ridden.  At 8:15, we got off the ferry and went to the local hostel.  There were 108 concrete steps up a steep hill between the harbor and Rosslare Youth Hostel.  Hauling my 22kg backpack, the climb started to get tough after about the 75th stair.  Our hostel was a pretty, white house with chocolate brown details and a dark roof.  We each checked in and found our rooms through the open courtyard.

After dropping off our luggage and settling in, Christine and I met up again and had a light dinner with a couple of pints at the Tuskar House.  I walked her back to our Hostel after exchanging e-mail addresses and returned to Portholes Bar in Rosslare Hotel to find a roaring crowd cheering and singing in unison.

Rosslare Youth Hostel
  At first, a man in drag led mantra, but the performers continued to change.

I soon learned that a 50th birthday party had drawn the large, enthusiastic crowd.  My eyes moistened with emotion as I enjoyed the local Irish singers telling stories and I thought to myself, “I’ve returned to the homeland of my ancestors.”  Jimmy, a gracious local, bought me a pint and the various performers continued to sing traditional Irish and classic American Folk songs (e.g., Daydream Believer).  With another long day ahead and to make up some time, I left the pub at 20 of one for a good night’s sleep.  I did sleep well except for the moment I rolled over in the narrow bunk and bounced by forehead off the concrete wall.
Rosslare Ireland. 180 stairs to cl…
Rosslare Ireland. 180 stairs to c…
Rosslare