Stonehenge in southern England was hardly worth the visit

Stonehenge Travel Blog

I met an Arizona/New Haven area family on the train to Salisbury and together we caught the bus to Stonehenge.  At 3:45, we arrived at the site.  Perhaps more intriguing than the circle of rocks (which itself is circled by a fence to prevent tourists from approaching the stones) was a large pasture dotted with sheep across the street.  The field lies behind the Collection Booth where visitors pay the toll for entry through an underpass to the roped-off path around the mystical structure.  Judging the ticket price to exceed the value, however, I took my pictures from the free sidewalk and returned to the double-decker bus to get out of the rain.

ctjevans says:
hey RJ, I don't think it was worth the visit, and certainly not worth paying to cross the street to get a little closer, but if you're in the neighborhood or it's on your way somewhere more interesting, I'd suggest stopping by just to say you've been there. I found Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery in Sligo Ireland to be much more accessible, older, and therefore more interesting. although the structures are much smaller than Stonehenge, there are more of them, those on one side of the street are free to visit, and you can get right up to them with no rope to keep you out.
Posted on: Feb 25, 2008
RJ82 says:
so do you recommend not going to stonehenge? looks like it became too commercial.
Posted on: Feb 25, 2008
sheep grazing in the field in the …
sheep grazing in the field in the…
Stonehenge, England
Stonehenge, England
Stonehenge Sights & Attractions review
I didn't find Stonehenge to be worth the visit, and certainly not worth paying to cross the street for a little closer, but if you're in the neighborh… read entire review
Stonehenge