Snowshoe hiking near Rothenthurm

Rothenthurm Travel Blog

Atleast I didn't have to wake up too early for this one. I got ready and stepped out, and it was very chilly, but the day promised to be clear. We assembled at around 9am at Zurich HB. A total of 6 this time, we took the train in the direction of Milano till Arth-Goldau, and then the next one to Rothenthurm. The sky was absolutely clear and the views were fantastic as we got closer to the snowy places. Could see the Grosser Mythen somewhere close to Rothenthurm from the train.
  After tea and breakfast at Rothenthurm, we set off in the direction of Morgarten. We were supposed to climb about 300 meters. There was loads of fresh snow from the previous night, and initially the pathway was totally paved.
So I decided to not use the snowshoes as it turned out to be easy just walking in boots. The snow was soft and perfect, so soft and puffy. With crystals growing out roughly, so much so that it looked almost like white grass. It started to get warmer after a while, and the slight breeze died down too, causing most of us to lose our jackets.
  Climbing about 100 m, the paved trail ended at a barn and from there it got steeper. From here the Kleiner Mythen peaks were visible. Wit the paved part ending, it was time to put snowshoes back on. It was still not much cold, so I didn't use my jacket then, and not during the entire trek after that. The wooded section began, and as we walked through the forest path we could catch glimpses of Aegerisee far below, all surrounded in white and tiny looking white houses in small groups around the lake.
We climbed higher and finally reached the local peak. View from the top, as always, was totally worth it. The Aegerisee (lake) was in the valley on once side of the ridge, and on the other side the valley far below was covered in a sea of clouds.
  Perfect place to take a break and eat some grub, have some tea. The climb down was a bit tricky, being steep and not much snow. The snow had gotten wetter as well with the sun shining, making for some slippery descending. That too, we didn't follow the standard trail, and ended up going through someone's fields, over and under barbed wire fences, till we reached a paved road. It was about 14:00 by that time, when we packed up all the snow equipment and made our way down to Biberegg. At Biberegg, we had some more tea and snacks at a restaurant Linde. There, was the smallest Swiss railway station I had seen to date! Just one platform, had to press a button within 5 minutes before the train arrived to request a train stop.
  It all worked out fine with the train, and changing again at Arth-Goldau, and a little nap on the way to Zurich, reached back late afternoon to the main station. I took the tram home with the american couple, and thats that!

-- Ashish Bhambhani.