So Which Way Do You Swing?

Sydney Travel Blog

MARDI GRAS ROCKS!!
If you're gonna be in Sydney then you better damn well make sure it's the same time as Mardi Gras because there aint no party like a gay party (scub7 better move on over). The parade was brilliant, a crazy atmosphere, I very nearly got squished to death and that's no joke. 350,000 people turned up that night and lined the streets to see the parade. Being on the pavement near the start of the parade was a big mistake, you had people stood on the edge going nowhere, people pushing up the street, people pushing down the street and somewhere in the middle people like me stuggling to survive!

I went with my flat mate Anna and we decided to try else where. We trekked further up to find it 6 people deep at the barriers and everyone about 2 foot off the floor - standing on stools, milk crates, tables, anything they could lay there hands on. So we decieded it was best to buy the stools that were being sold for $10 and that way at least we could see something!  And I'm glad we did!  There were 150 floats in the parade that included 'Dykes on Bikes', 'Mature Age Gays' and representaion from Australia's Police, Nurses, Firefighters and Life Guards.
After, I met up with friends and partied until the early hours of the morning, dancing away to the classics, YMCA, It's Raining Men and Macho Man  :)

Sydney