Patrick's Not Even Irish!

Sydney Travel Blog

St Patricks Day Parade

St Patricks Day Weekend, yes weekend, Australia likes it's long weekends. It all started on the Saturday night, going to Sydney's well known Scruffy Murphys, it has three levels, sport on TV at the top, bar with live band in the middle and the night club down in the basement, a little something for everybody - beloved by backpackers and locals alike. So to the top for the rugby, revelling in Englands win over Ireland, but also entirely aware of the fact I was 1 of only 5 England supporters in an Irish bar full of Irish people ( including a peppy little ginger Irish girl who gave me evils as I cheered when England first scored). On sunday I went with Francine and Anna to see the parade, not as lively Mardi Gras but there were animals so I was happy.

Later in the day me and Francine went to Hyde Park where there was a mini festival thing going on, entertainment (including a U2 tribute band, very cool) stalls, large bar queues, lots of people in fancy dress - it was a very good day! Then, oh yes it goes on, on Monday , actual St.Patricks Day I was back in Scruffys in the evening, drinking cheap Guinness listening to a Greenday tribute band, who rocked.

It's got to be said that I believe half of Ireland does actually live in Sydney and that at one time I had met more Irish than Australians and had started to forget which country I was in!

I did learn that St Patrick wasn't actually Irish but was taken there as a slave when he was 16, he lived in Ireland for a few years before escaping and going back to his family.  He did return to Ireland but why he is a saint is a little fuzzy, someone said something about chasing snakes out of Ireland?  But who knows.

Me and my guinness