Fàilte gu Alba!...Welcome to Scotland!...in Scottish Gaelic

Edinburgh Travel Blog

The short flight over to D├╣n ├łideann (Scottish Gaelic for Edinburgh) was uneventful and I was lethargic because of food coma. I got from my arrival gate to the baggage claim in no time and my rollie bag came off the conveyor belt in about 15 minutes...WOW! I was informed by Mar, prior to my departure from LAX, to take the Airlink Express (Shuttle Service 100) to get from the EDI to the city center and to buy an open return ticket. I was too cold and too tired that I forgot about the open return ticket which would have saved me an extra pound because I eventually ended up buying 2 single tickets.

Anyways...it was super dark outside and there was a light, fine, mist-like drizzle in the air. The shuttle ride took about half an hour to get to the Waverly Bridge shuttle stop. For a major city, the city too me looked dark...I imagined bright lights and hustle and bustle especially since it was Second Christmas...I guess there wasn't much public revelry going on.

Before leaving LA, I made sure to write down the directions from Waverly Train Station, which was nearby, to my hostel. Based upon the information on hostelworld.com, it looked to be a few blocks away near the Royal Mile. I normally have a good sense of direction but for some reason, on this night, that sense was out of whack! I spent a good while looking for Cockburn Street but I didn't see its street sign. I am such an idiot Cockburn Street is on the southern end of Waverly Bridge just past Market Street!

So rather than walking up Cockburn Street, I walked up Market Street. Market Street went under the North Bridge which was creepy and sketchy so I walked very briskly. Past the North Bridge, I saw some building lights on up Jeffrey Street so I walked uphill hoping not to slip on the wet pavement. The lights I saw were for the Jurys Inn Edinburgh. I walked inside the lobby and thankfully the front desk attendant was able to direct me to my hostel, the smartcityhostels Edinburgh on Blackfriars Street. It was such a relief to finally get to the hostel. What should have been a 15 minute walk turned into an hour long fiasco...well fiasco from my point of view!

I have never stayed in a hostel before but I have heard that some are down right shitters. So I made sure to pick a nice one especially since my cousin won't be in town until tomorrow. smartcityhostels Edinburgh was highly rated on hostelworld.com with lots of amenities like the en-suite bathroom and shower. As soon as I got into the room, all I wanted to do was shower and sleep and lucky for me my hostel roommates were all out.

I was just about to go to sleep when one of my roomies returned. Her name was Hannah and she was a traveling medical technician from Australia. We chatted briefly and had both agreed to set our alarms for an early wake up time as she had to catch an early morning train and I wanted to see Edinburgh Castle before meeting up with Mar.

Edinburgh Hostels review
Smart City Hostel...An Excellent Start to My Hostel Staying Experience
After much research, I could not have found a better place to place to spend my first hostel stay EVER than Smart City Hostel Edinburgh! In terms … read entire review
photo by: vances