Chapter 2: Madison & Dane County

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Before you think I’m crazy; I know California is great, I know it’s winter in Madison, and I know Madison winters are cold.

I’m looking at the big picture.

According to the website, "the Dane County Regional Airport (MSN) is the gateway to the Madison area's vibrant economy and legendary natural beauty. More than 100 commercial flights depart and arrive daily, promoting the exchange of ideas, products, and investment opportunities between South-Central Wisconsin and the globe. The graceful, Prairie Style architecture makes the terminal as beautiful as it is convenient for the 1.6 million passengers who use it yearly."

Madison boasts an open mind, a major university, and lots of lakes with water sports. The cost of living is a dream compared to Southern California, why, we can probably afford to live on a lake!

We’ll get a boat! I’ll take up water-skiing again.

And CUNA Mutual is a great company, with a solid history and new leadership at the top.  CUNA Mutual overflows with opportunity for the future.  They have a great relocation package, including temporary housing.  Then they’ll move us and even ship our cars to Wisconsin.

This is my pep talk to myself as I pack and prepare to fly off to a waiting Valhalla.

But there’s a hitch…

My Mustang convertible is not for snow or babies, and it’s 134,000 miles old. My musician friend Josh hooks me up with a great deal on a Volvo XC90 (a perfect Wisconsin-Baby-Mobile) through his dad, the officer of a bank in Fresno.

The headaches and hassles of getting the car registered, insured, licensed and shipped are a whole-nother-Oprah, and in the end it won’t arrive in time.  But CUNA Mutual offers a week’s rental car and I book a great rate with Dollar. On January 21 I’m on my way to LAX.

Unbeknownst to me, however, as I drive to the airport Madison is earning a new distinction - the coldest city in North America.