Prologue - Pasadena 2007

Pasadena Travel Blog

A Thousand Little Pieces: My Travels to and from The Dane County Regional Airport

By Wade Fransson

Prologue: 2007

I grew up in Canada/Sweden/Alaska.  I escaped the cold, spending the last 12 years in Southern California.

Angela is from Wisconsin.  She moved here after graduating from University of Wisconsin-Madison.

I kid her that Dane County is “70 square miles surrounded by reality”, which she doesn’t like.  But the reality is that Madison and Dane County are as close as the Midwest gets to California.

I suspect Dane County prepared this Mid-western girl for wholesale adoption of the “California Lifestyle”. I think about a gorgeous sunny day in 2006, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Student Union, overlooking Lake Mendota, when I asked my future in-laws for their daughter’s hand.

We choose La Jolla, just north of San Diego, as the place.  This is Dr. Seuss’ hometown, and his magical stories make sense in this fantasy climate, where everything goes, it all works out, and nobody gets hurt.  Anything is possible when the needle hovers between 60 and 80 all year.

It was 75 degrees on March 31, 2007 at the Hotel La Valencia, where clouds sheltered the outdoor guests from direct sunshine before parting on cue for me to kiss the bride, with the sun bursting forth in approval of our union.

The photographer we mortgaged our future for will release pictures that prove this, in just two months, when his 1-year exclusive right to print our pictures expires.

We both love our life in Pasadena.

Pasadena