Favorite Japanese/Sushi Joints.

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Hama Sushi  (347 E. 2nd St)(Little Tokyo/Downtown LA)(Average/Expensive).  I know there's another place with the same name in Venice, but that's a trendy, non-affiliated place.  This is a tiny traditional sushi place, right next to a fish market, so you can be assured their stuff is super fresh!  I prefer sitting at the sushi bar.  After years of eating here, I still get the same things (so boring!):  spicy tuna handrolls (the best in town!), monk fish liver, toro, sweet shrimp (with the heads fried), hamachi (yellowtail), salmon sashimi, eel & tuna cut or handroll depending on my mood, eel sushi….  There other stuff's good too, but that's my normal order.  One of the chefs is super sweet and always slips his regulars "extra" fish.

Matsuhisa (129 N. La Cienega Blvd)(Beverly Hills)(Very Expensive).  I tend to not eat the sushi here since it's more expensive and I can get better sushi elsewhere, but there are a few dishes they consistently do very very well here.  My favs:  Miso Cod, Miso Eggplant, Lobster tempura, Sashimi Salad, Chocolate Bento Box, Uni shooter with quail egg.  There's also a yummy sautéed shrimp dish that's quite yummy.  It's best to come with a group so you can share lots of different small plates.  I think Mark Walhberg lives here – I've seen him there about 4 times.

Nobu (3835 Cross Creek Rd)(Malibu)(Very Expensive).  Yes, it's trendy, but the food (cooked and raw) are all quite yummy!  I tend to go to Matsuhisa (same owner) more since it's closer, and they have the same menu, but in recent years, I do feel the sushi is better at Nobu than Matsuhisa, while their cooked food remains the same.

Sushi Nozawa (11288 Ventura Blvd)(Studio City)(Expensive).  This is really far for me but I go regardless (esp if someone else is willing to drive).  It's a very traditional sushi restaurant (i.e., no California rolls) located in an unassuming shopping center.  Famous for incredibly fresh fish and the sushi nazi – it does actually live up to the hype if you are willing to stand in line and defer to the chef.  Lots of celebrity sightings here.

Kouraku (314 E. 2nd Street)(Little Tokyo/Downtown LA)(Cheap).  I only come here for one thing – the Tonkatsu Moyashi Ramen – soooo good and simple.  Nothing better on a cold day.  Check out my review.  http://www.travbuddy.com/Koraku-v173195

Bar Hayama (1803 Sawtelle Blvd.)(West LA)(Average/Expensive).  To be fair, the food is good but not spectacular.  However, the service and the space – particularly the fire pit in the patio – are pretty awesome.  It's also where I was introduced to lychee sake during a travbuddy meeting, so Bar Hayama will always have a little spot in my heart.   Check out my blog:  http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/18814
martinikitty13 says:
i know, i know, but i couldn't list echigo since i haven't been back forever. want to go back and give it another try sometime?
sybil says:
as much as i hate going back to echigo on principle because their servings have gotten significantly smaller, it is still pretty good.
Eric says:
Did you see my review about Sanuki no sato? Lisa told me about it. If you like Udon you should check it out! :)
Los Angeles Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
This is a really great "cheap eats" place located in Little Tokyo in downtown Los Angeles. The menu is filled with ramen, fried rice, japanese appeti… read entire review