My Favorite Brunch Places. Bring on the Eggs & Bacon!

Los Angeles Travel Blog

Ricotta blueberry pancakes (check out the cute log cabin of maple syrup!). (BLD)

Alcove (1929 Hillhurst)(Los Feliz)(Average/Expensive).  I know some people complain about the ordering process (i.e., you wait in a long, long line, order at the counter, get your beverages and a number for your food order, find seats in various patios, and wait for someone to bring your food); but I'm used to it and am happy to deal so long as I get my yummy pastries.   Food is pretty good here too (esp. the onion rings), but it's really all about the tarts, cupcakes and other baked treats for me!  I think they are starting to do dinners too.  Recommendations:  Cupcakes (big and fluffy, with whipped buttercream frosting and sprinkled with pastel confectioner's sugar), fruit tarts, moon pies.

Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles (5006 W. Pico Blvd)(Mid-Wilshire)(Average).  I know.  I know.  It sounds like an odd combo, but it really is quite delectable!  The fried chicken is juicy and flavorful, and is somehow enhanced by being eaten next to yummy waffles drenched with maple syrup.  I actually avoid this place for Sunday brunch because it gets packed with the church crowd!  I did come here after finishing a 5 mile run, and boy did it hit the right spot!

Joe's (1023 Abbot Kinney Blvd)(Venice Beach)(Average/Expensive).  I fell in love with Joe's when I first had their mushroom ravioli all those years ago.  Then I started going to their brunch and fell in love all over again.  It's a pretty small restaurant but very quaint and elegant – also a nice patio for brunch on sunny days.  Recommendations:  Pancakes, breakfast burrito, crab cakes; Also, mushroom ravioli (dinner).

BLD (7450 Beverly Blvd.)(WeHo)(Average).  I enjoy the whole casual, fun vibe here (although service was admittedly choppy when the restaurant first opened).  It is sort of a trendy brunch spot with lots of young Hollywood actors (but hey, they've got to eat too!).  The menu has a wide selection of brunch favorites, sandwiches, salads, etc.  – all quite good.  I think what keeps me coming back repeatedly is the French press coffee here, and the fresh blueberry jam.

Square One (4854 Fountain Ave)(Los Feliz)(Average).  A recent delightful find for breakfast and lunch.   Delicious muffins, oatmeal, croissants, sandwiches, soups and salads – all super fresh and yummy!  A lovely place to just eat, read and while away the day.

Griddle Café  (7916 Sunset Blvd)(WeHo)(Average).   This place is always bustling and packed!  It must be because of the gi-normous pancakes (banana and chocolate chip are my favorites, but they have a myriad of flavors)!  They also have yummy chiles and burgers.  There's always a line and it's a first come-first serve policy.  Some people get sort of cranky and start yelling at the person with the wait-list – don't do that!  Be nice and polite and they'll get to you.  Random tip – I would skip their fruit sides/plate. It's not that good.  Stick with the carbs and protein here.

mellemel8 says:
HEHEHE we have almost the same spots. however, i have not eaten at BDL :)
Posted on: Jun 15, 2008
Ricotta blueberry pancakes (check …
Ricotta blueberry pancakes (check…
Los Angeles Restaurants, Cafes & Food review
This was a delightful treasure located in the midst of a somewhat dodgy area right behind the Church of Scientology - but once you step into the cute … read entire review