My Fave Burger Joints.

Los Angeles Travel Blog

I have to say, I truly enjoy the burger.  Some people view it as a convenient lunch.  I see it as happiness, conveniently packaged.  In my heyday, I could eat 3 burgers at a time.  Alas, age has caught up with me and I can only eat one burger at a time so I have to be more selective now … Here are some places where I indulge my burger cravings.

In-n-Out (various locations throughout SoCal)(Cheap).  What a wonderful establishment – with a simple philosophy of serving only a few items, made from only fresh, never frozen, ingredients.  Any In-n-Out lover can recognize the smell and taste of an In-n-Out burger – it's very distinctive, but not fancy or complicated.  It's simply good.  My normal order:  double double with grilled onions, fries (extra crispy) and if I'm feeling particularly good, a strawberry milkshake.

Father's Office (1018 Montana Ave.)(Santa Monica)(Average).  I suppose this is what people deem a gastropub – really more of a bar that also happens to serve a few select items of very good food.  I hear the chef-owner is quite a perfectionist and I can't complain since I'm a beneficiary of his vision.  Yet this means that he doesn't allow any substitutions – he only serves his burger one way – beef burger with some sort of teriyaki-esque sauce with gruyere and maytag blue cheese and arugula – don't even bother asking for any changes.  I actually really enjoy this bar, but sometimes it's an immense hassle to eat here.  There's no table service, so you have to fight your way to the bar to place your order and then wait for someone to find you to give you your food, if you are lucky enough to find a seat.  A few years ago they got busted by the fire marshals so they make people wait outside in line.  What this really means is now you have maybe one inch of space around you instead of none.  Other highlights – sweet potato fries served in these cute little shopping carts.

Jonathan Gold from LA Weekly recently noted that Comme Ca had the best burger in town.  Now I'm determined to check that out.  If it is, I'll update my list.  More to come!