Havana Travel Blog

Wicked cars, music, dancing the heat and Fidel, unsurprisingly focused on the Revolution, the centre of gravity. I started in Havana, a booming city, rich with history. The tourist trail is well marked and due to heavy regulation is difficult to avoid.

I kicked around the city for a few days visiting the sights, the museums, galleries, bars, bars, bars, a cigar and rum factory, generally I made myself fairly comfortable in cafes enjoying the scene.

Trinidad, a small historic city to the east near the coast offers impressive colonial architecture and entertaining street gigs. Part with a few coins and you can sit under the trees watching the old blokes run through the classics for hours.

I frequented Casa de Musica in Havana (2) and Trinidad.

Trinidad was ostensibly an outside amphitheatre with African music, local Salsa and Jazz, passing the hat around after each act. Great place to chill out for a few beers.

Generally the culture appeared stressed out, perhaps a little highly strung. That said, once the night time arrived and the temperature droped the Cubans came alive, can drink, CAN dance...Salsa that is, it was spectacular.

Cuba really does deliver, their culture so rich and different. The architecture is incredible, the cinemas, hotels, churches and monuments.

Check out the cars, I found one held together with Gaffa Tape, bush mechanic, eat your heart out....let me introduce the masters, Street Mechanics.

One of the last pictures is of a model in Havana of Havana, totally ridiculous. Easily the biggest waste of time (not only mine) so far. It took them years to construct the scale model.

jwilsonwsu says:
Nice blog. I really want to go to Cuba.
Posted on: Apr 03, 2008
tvillingmarit says:
Nice blog, I`m visiting Havana in April, look forward to
Posted on: Jan 14, 2008
drsbabyface01 says:
love your description of the cuban culture...yes they are good at keeping those old cars running. your pictures are just awesome. I wish I can visit Cuba some day!
Posted on: Oct 15, 2007