Road trip to Madrid

Salamanca Travel Blog

Today it's time to bid farewell to Jessica and for Scott, Paul and me to get back to Madrid so we can return to the States.  Jessica is staying on for a bit longer in Spain and may go on to Portugal from here.  We dropped her off at the bus station in Salamanca so that she could catch the bus to Santiago de Compostello.  I really wish I could have gotten to see that city -- maybe next trip!

We decided to take a different way back to Madrid -- dropping down over the Sierra de Gatas, then east to Talavera and into Madrid.  The drive down thru the Sierra de Gatas was very beautiful.  We stopped at a town in the mountains built right on a cliff (Bejar) for a late lunch at the Hotel Colon, and then continued our drive south.  It was all very good until I was pulled over by the local policia and given a ticket for passing in a no passing zone.  It was very confusing, as it was an area where two lanes were merging into one, and I was simply merging with ongoing traffic.  The policia evidently did not think so, however I did notice that he was only stopping turistas and handing out his tickets there.  He was a very angry man -- lots of yelling, hand gestures and stomping.  In the end, he let me proceed after paying him 40 euros on the spot.  Wonder where that money went?

Our next stop was in Talavera de la Reina, the city where Talavera pottery is made.  We saw lots of pottery shops, but were shopped out, so did not pick up any Talavera (plus, I had acquired a couple of pieces on my previous trip to Spain).

We got to Madrid about 8pm, and found a hotel near the airport for our last night (the High Tech Hotel).  We checked in, and then met in the bar for our last night of tapas.

Salamanca