Granada or Bust

Granada Travel Blog

Alhambra Palace Hotel

I had a two hour layover in Madrid before my plane was to depart for Granada.  The Madrid airport has a new terminal for domestic flights -- Terminal 4.  Turns out it is a 30 minute bus ride from the international terminal.  When I got to the new terminal, the automatic check in kiosks would not accept my flight information.  The lines for human check in were so long, I missed my flight to Granada.  Iberia put me on standby on the 7:00 pm flight, which I eventually cleared.

While I made it to Granada, my bags did not.  Iberia did a check and found out that they were still in Madrid.  They gave me the standard toiletry kit and an Iberia t-shirt, and promised to get me my bag the next day.

I had a great taxi ride from the Airport to my hotel, the Hotel Saray.  The cabbie spoke English very well, and even conversed with me in Spanish some.  I am ok with that as long as we stay in the present tense.  The Spanish back in Texas and Mexico is very different than the sounds in Spain with the "lisped" 's'.  "Grathias" just isn't the same to my Texas ears.

I caught up with my friends who were already in Granada working.  Turns out each of them had also lost their bags in Madrid, as had 80% of the conference attendees.  Sure seems like something is wrong with the new baggage system in Terminal 4!  they were staying at the Alhambra Palace, a Moorish styled hotel that was very beautiful.

I was staying at the Hotel Saray not too far from my friends.  It was very comfortable and clean.  It was a beautiful clear night, so I decided to sleep with the window open.  My room was very near their hotel marquee sign -- and you could hear it buzz with electricity.  It was a little like the Seinfeld episode where Jerry and Kramer have a hard time sleeping with the Kenny Rogers Chicken sign out their window.  A couple glasses of cava were just the trick though to help me get a sound night's sleep.

Granada