Day 2 in Toledo

Toledo Travel Blog

Jes and the Marzapan Palace

My traveling companions decided to sleep in this morning, so I was off on my own to check out more of the Old Town Toledo.  The walk there is really pleasant in the cool morning air.  I had to head back to the shop with the marzapan to get more four our group and some to take home.  I went to the San Tome, Cafeteria of Marzapan and bought 4 boxes!  I found out that the recipe is over 700 years old and is famous throughout this part of the world.  Hard to believe it is just sugar and almond paste!  It was great fun to pick out the indiviual pieces and watch them wrap and box them up for me.  They had even made a large window display for Easter -- a Marzapan Palace.  It's quite amazing in person.

Scottie joined me around noon at the Zocadover Plaza, and we took the local touristy trolley around the city to get a feel for all the sights.

Tourist Trolley at the Zocodover Plaza
  It's called the Zoco Train and is a good way to cover a lot of ground and hear some background on the city and the sights.  It lasted about an hour.  We learned a bit about Roman and Visigoth influences on this part of Spain and how for centuries the Christians, Moslems and Jews lived in harmony here . . . until the inquisition.  We saw evidence of Roman bridges and aqueducts; Moslem walls, tower and mosques, Jewish synagogues; and, of course, Catholic cathedrals.  Toledo, I learned, was once the capital of Spain and was a big center of the Inquisition.  Here many heretics were burned, tortured or beheaded in the Zocodover -- right where we were located!  The word "Zocodover" comes from the Arabic words for wild animals and square.
Catedral de Toledo
  Evidently on of the earliest uses of the square here was for livestock to be bought and sold here!

Jessica and Paul joined us about 3, and we continued our walking tour down near the Cathedral. We were never able to see inside this Cathedral, as it turns out it was closed for renovations.  We stopped for lunch around 4 at a taberna near the Cathedral -- I had a good Castillan Stew -- meat, carrots, peas, and chorizo all served over french fries.  It was actually quite tasty, despite being served on the french fries.  After lunch, we wandered through the old Jewish Quarter.  We were not able to see into any of the Synagogues -- all were closed that day.

I did have to have my picture taken in front of a sporting good store -- Young's, as that is my last name.

My Shop (Young)
  We did do a tremendous amount of walking today.  Maybe I should have gone into the sporting good store and get us all new comfy shoes!

As the sun was going down, we found a nice taberna near the square to have a beer, eat some tapas and get a good seat to watch the Easter Procession.  It started raining, and the Easter Procession was cancelled!  That just gave us a reason to drink more beer and eat more tapas!  It actually served as our dinner that night.  When we finished eating, a bit more walking around and then finally caught at taxi back to our hotel, it was 1am!

Jes and the Marzapan Palace
Tourist Trolley at the Zocodover P…
Tourist Trolley at the Zocodover …
Scottie and his marzapan
Torre del Catedral de Toledo
Another view of the Torre
Another view of the Torre
Dont I look mischevious?
Don't I look mischevious?
Paul & Scott in Toledo