Getting to Baku (Azerbaijan Airlines)

Baku Travel Blog

The only direct way to get to Baku from Dubai is by Azerbaijan Airlines.  I was a bit nervous booking my ticket with this former piece of Aeroflot, but business called and so I found myself at the Azerbaijan Airlines office in Deira picking up my ticket on Thursday, January 24, 2008.

I arrived at the airport like a commoner, with no frequent flyer privileges, no VIP check-in, no lounge, no special Immigration lines.  The first thing that caught my attention as I stood in line to check-in, was that I happened to be the only one with one bag of under 20 kgs to check in.  Most other people, probably visiting Dubai, had atleast 30-60 kgs excess luggage.  The airline had a sign stating that we would need to sign a one page waiver form if we chose not to get our luggage wrapped in plastic(oh yes, and at our expense).  I travel with a hard case lockable suitcase, but I was told that it wasn’t enough for the evil airport staff in Baku (ok, they didn’t say that, but the might as well have), so I had my bag wrapped.

On board, the staff was well groomed, the plane was clean, but showing signs of aging (a Boeing 757-200 series) with some of the upholstery a bit stained, but nevertheless, clean.  Economy class had basic seats with no individual TV monitors.  The TV monitors hung overhead (the old style) and showed the map of the route with real time GPS updates.  We left on time but due to congestion in Dubai airport, we arrived late. They served a hot meal with the usual choice of soft drinks and liquor.  The screened the 1998 French film Taxi which was dubbed in Azeri and Russian (two audio channels) with the French dialogs still audible, making it annoying to listen to, even though I couldn’t understand either of the three languages.  Besides that the flight was uneventful and approximately 2hrs 30 minutes long.

mickeyd302 says:
You should try flying Azal's domestic flights...that is when the real nightmare begins.
Posted on: Feb 06, 2008
venky4none says:
I guess travelling in the russian and CIS countries is a bit complicated than travelling within Africa.
Posted on: Feb 06, 2008