That’s just straight-up crazy

Osaka Travel Blog

Random Observation/Comment #52: Models never take normal pictures seriously. She just looks like a crazy girl in this picture.
I spent Monday morning finishing some documentation at the lab while Chris went to Osaka Castle. If I knew it would have rained so hard, I would have brought an umbrella to lunch. The intervals between lightning and thunder became shorter and the cracks of brightness made me cower in fear. Every crack and grumble felt like an empty threat because not a droplet of water had touched me (perhaps I should have taken it as a hint to walk faster). The sounds were indeed foreshadowing a dreadful storm. The slow drizzle started and evolved to entire buckets of water splashed over us.

While some ducked for cover under a flimsy tree in hopes that the hardest part of the rain would pass quickly, others did the smart thing and ran towards the post office. From there, we dodged for a few minutes and then borrowed umbrellas from the other lab. Those who hid under the tree soon found that their fickle shelter turned into a funnel – helping as an enemy rather than a ally. The walk back to our lab felt like the old gym game of lava except without props. Huge puddles had formed blocking most of our routes and waterfalls were created from concrete stairs. The conditions of my shoes and socks worsened with every step, but we trekked on with hopes of dry land. It was quite the adventure.
Back in the lab soaking wet, I wondered how Chris was doing in Osaka castle.
I imagined that he would spend the extra money for a cheap umbrella to protect his camera and JR rail-pass. Unfortunately, my imagination was smarter than he. Because of the never-ending rain, I decided against going to Nara with Chris since the deer would probably be hiding in warm shelter at night times. Instead, I got a message from Yohann asking to go out to dinner with him and some of his model friends. Alcohol would be involved by default.
When I met Chris in HEP5, he looked sullen and panicked. He had already walked around the mall to find a new set of clothes for a reasonable price, but we were shopping at a fairly fancy area in the heart of Umeda. What he really needed was dry, inexpensive clothes that looked good.
His taste was odd. The skinny body structure fit into tight jeans and oddly colored polos. He looked mad homo. I think you can tell by the pictures that this was the image he was going for. As a model from America, I would probably wear something similar (it’s okay, he can just pretend to be a hand, eye, or beard model).
Dinner was reasonably priced at an Italian restaurant with 20 or so 18-year-old models from around the world. I was one of four guys and we were surrounded by really pretty girls. We made a lot of small talk amongst ourselves, but we did find a few that were not stuck up, snooty, or air heads. Red wine was ordered and finished between me, Chris, and Yohann (of course this was before the two 500ml Asahi pregame beers).
After the wine, we just went back to his place to buy beer and chat about random stuff until the morning.
Anastaysia (the model in green) was also there to make the conversations more interesting. She was very bright in languages and humor. It’s interesting how much you could tell about intelligence and thought tree depths just by the response time to certain jokes. Within fractions of a second, the joke is understood, enjoyed, reprocessed, and a proper question (based on an odd observation in this thought-tree) is responded. When you’re talking to someone (especially of the opposite gender), it’s very good to reiterate certain questions and clarify points to show interest in the topic. Anyway, this was the impression I got from her. The quirky behavior and playful spirit brought out more than a physical attraction. It would be impossible to describe this intuition of judgment (or maybe I was just really drunk).
Like many of the previous nights, the partying lasted until the first train. Chris and I exuded a level of exhaustion that became contagious in the train cars. I felt like a decrepit man stuck in a gorgeous, young strapping lad’s body (^^). Only two months out of college and I’m getting too old for this game. Let’s drink like fish during this last month ::smirk::.
~See Lemons Party it Up

Random Observation/Comment #49: Why didn’t I record a video of her talking? Ask Chris – it’s the cutest thing in the world. Picture a kitty wearing a panda suit, trying to play a small piano and then multiply the cuteness factor by 3. Eric, she’s even cuter than May – I know, it’s scary.
I woke up at 3PM still feeling a little drunk from the night before. I dreamed about some crazy things, but I wasn’t sure if they actually happened or not. Alcohol makes me a little forgetful, but patching the story with random comments is much more fun. The only thing I remembered clearly from the night before was that Maki would be available to hang out today. We called her and arranged a meeting location for dinner in Dotonbori Gokurakushowtengai.

The morning conversation was nonexistent because we felt like smeared shyt on the wall – what a mess. It didn’t help that we got lost a few times transferring with the JR loop line. When we arrived to JR Namba, we found a very interesting area filled with guys that juggled basketballs, pop-lock dancers, and girls that danced in front of mirrors. This girl wore a bandana and a shirt that just said “New York” on it, and another one just looked like a black guy got a hold of her wardrobe. We waited there 15 minutes and they were dancing in front of the mirror like idiots the whole time. It made me wonder how long they had been there and what they did with their lives.
Maki was a little difficult to find, but I remembered the large moving crab in the main street area.
I think here (or the large Glico running man) is one of the best landmark places to meet. She showed us to this little old looking building that I would have passed for a museum. Apparently, it’s just a central market for all of Osaka’s famous side marts into one place. They had takoyaki, yakutori, yakusoba, okonomiyaki, and much more. They made the inside of the building look like old side alleys in the night time of back-in-the-day. The walls were filled with old pipes and half ripped posters. The floor looked like they used islands of stones instead of concrete filling. Atmosphere and food quality was exceptional, and I suggest tourists who love trying different foods to come here.
It was Chris’ first okonomiyaki so we let him do the honors of seasoning it and cutting it.
The pictures all look like Chris and Maki were on a date, but that’s because I was taking all the pictures from my side. I think the conversation time was evenly spread. She brought photos of her stay in New York and we chatted while eating.
After dinner, we went through one of those scary walks. I was a little freaked out because the guys that jumped out to scare you wore the old potato sack with eye holes cut out like the killers in “The Strangers” (terrible movie, if you ask me). The person that walks in the front of the group gets scared by the automatic doors, but usually the girl following in the back gets the guys coming out of the hidden doors. The one spot that I remembered clearly was the choice of doors. It’s completely obvious that someone is hiding somewhere ready to jump out and scare you, but it’s still startling when the statue starts to move. All in all, it was a lot of fun having a girl hold onto my arm scared… oh wait… that was Chris (haha).
~See Lemons Mesmerized