Blue Hotel

Koh Tao Travel Blog

The beach at Big Blue

An hour surfing in Bangkok had given me a rough idea of what to expect Ko Tao and that we should try to stay in Sairee Beach if we wanted to go diving; Big Blue had come up top on the Google search and looked worth checking out so we headed there first.  The place was not too hard to find right on the beach and with a bar/restuarant and a dozen rooms of varying standards.  We settled for an a/c room as this is half price if you were diving with them.  Sairee Beach is a pleasant spot, though the beach at high tide is almost non-existant. but in the evening at low tide all the beach side restaurants set out an impressive display to entice you in to eat, a little like the restaurants in Bali.

Birthday boy Andreas
The best places in Sairee Beacch seemed to be at the north end of the bay but we were not complaining as everything was pretty close and the diving looked good.

Like most of the dive operators in Ko Tao, Big Blue catered mainly for people doing Open Water courses so we were in the minority as qualified divers.   The first day visibility was only OK but for the next 2 days was excellent. On the 3rd day we had an early start to dive Chumpong Pinnacle, considered to be the best local site and a good place to see sharks.  We did most of our dives with a couple of Swedish guys and one night celebrated Andreas' birthday.  On Australia day the pub in Sairee Beach laid on a barbeque and live music and a few Aussies appeared out of the woodwork to sing along to some great Australian anthems that no-one from the N hemisphere appeared to have ever heard before.

skippyed says:
I looked in my dive log and I did Chumphon Pinnacle! I remember the dive well I was the only one who didn't see the Whale Shark! I dived with Planet Scuba and stayed at Seashell Resort.. Oh what memories!
Posted on: Feb 17, 2008