EuropeFranceOz

What have I done to deserve this?

Oz Travel Blog

Sign marking the edge of the slope, see how much blue ink I would need to print this?

Jokingly I always tell my friends that if they want to have good weather on their skiing trip, they need to bring me along. It has proven true the last five years, but me always pushing the vacation back to the latest possible date, must have helped. However, it is January 19 now, and you would expect to be in the midst of winter. Something like; grey, dark, cold and snowing all the time. None of that was the case during our most recent trip. Yet again, we were blessed with the best weather imaginable! The temperature felt like spring and we were sunbathing under a fantastic clear, sunny sky. If I were to print my photos, I would run out of blue ink very rapidly. The week before (when I wasn’t here) it had been snowing for three days in a row. Snow conditions therefore, are excellent. I am not sure what I have been doing right the last several years to deserve this, but I am very grateful for all of these glorious days.

Steven

Before I tell you about my first day on the slopes, let me introduce you to the rest of the gang.

First up is Steven, nickname Snowjunk. He’s been a friend ever since high school and he is addicted to snow and skiing. He’s very fanatic and goes skiing at least twice a year, not counting the many times he goes skiing indoors, in the Netherlands. His boots are custom made, his skis certified carving race monsters. One or two wires in his brain are probably connected in an unusual way, because Steven takes very important (sometimes life changing) decisions by flipping a coin :)

Then there, is Daniëlle, Steven's girlfriend.

Daniëlle
At least as fanatic about skiing as Steven is, she is also a happy note and a catalyst for us boys. She keeps us in line and acting as decent as possible, which is quite a task when you put five boys together. She wears her heart on her sleeve and puts us in our place whenever necessary. (quite often, I'm afraid to say :D)

Next in line is Marcel, a solution oriented, problem solving IT specialist. He is a terrific skier, and eats black slopes for breakfast. He has a heart of gold and a naughty twinkle in his eyes. He is also the conscience of our group, cares for the environment very much and is a vegetarian just so he can reduce his footprint on the earth.

With Marcel comes Manon, his girlfriend.

Marcel
It was her first time on the slopes with us, newbee her nickname therefore. In everyday life, she works at a climbing sports facility where climbers can practice sticking to the walls and ceiling. She’s a boarder girl by the way. With that I mean she is someone who enjoys riding a board, not someone who borderlines. Though, just like the rest of us, she is a little crazy :P

Then we have Ralph, the least youngest of our group. For that and other reasons, his nick name is Big Mountain Daddy. He is cuddly to look at, has a calm and collected spirit and a positive effect on the group and he has a wicked sense of humour. Let’s just say, he never lost his inner child. Although Ralph has been the most fanatic skier for many years, the last two years he switched to a board. We skiers have forgiven him for that :)

Next is Arjen, the youngest of our bunch.

Manon
He is the younger brother of Marcel and this years flying buddy (the one I flew to Grenoble with). Arjen laughs at danger, is the first one on the slopes in the morning and often the last one to come down from the slopes in the evening. He is a red jeans type of guy, and you know what that means.

And last but not least, there is me… Rudolph aka Sweetski. In below picture you see me in my war paint ;) I think it is nice to come home with a tan and I think it would be a waste if I had to peal off half my (facial) skin upon arrival. For other info on me, please check my profile :)

Sweetski says:
Well Ilva, everyone can wear blue jeans, but very few people can wear red jeans and look cool :) With it comes a daring lifestyle, a 'living on the edge' mentality :D

P.S. It's easy to write about your friends this way when they are awesome :D They're the best!
Posted on: Sep 02, 2010
ilvagul says:
I'm sorry to ask that, but what does "red jeans type" stand for? :)
P.S. Love the way you write about your friends. Maybe I should start to flip the coin more often :)
Posted on: Sep 02, 2010
Sunflower300 says:
You truly are a blessed man. :D Therefore, I really hope you can come to New Zealand in August. I want perfect weather; however, I seem to be just as blessed as you are when it comes to perfect weather. Just imagine if we holidayed together. Do you think two rights would make a wrong?

Not a chance! :D
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008
Sign marking the edge of the slope…
Sign marking the edge of the slop…
Ralph