Mixed Emotions

Portland Travel Blog

Hooray, I’m back in Maine for the first time in two years, an absurd absence that needed to be remedied.  Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, however, and it is somber news that brings me back.  A dear friend learned last fall he has a rare blood cancer which is incurable and carries on knowing his remaining time on earth will be five to ten years.

At this stage of the disease the primary symptom is fatigue (it gets much worse as the cancer progresses) and because Ed runs a farm I volunteered a few days of labor when planting season kicked in.  I look forward to pitching in and getting to spend some time to learn what he is (and will be) dealing with.

I took a week off of work and decided to FINALLY get out to Isle Au Haut during this trip.  Isle Au Haut is a relatively large Maine Island with a very small population (currently only 38 full-year residents) with a big chunk of it belonging to Acadia National Park – the last piece I have never been to.  Everybody is familiar with the premiere park portion on Mount Desert Isle, where Bar Harbor is, but in addition to this and Isle Au Haut there is the end of a peninsula just north, Schoodic Point, so three separate locations for the park.

After that it is back south to spend some time with friends down in Portsmouth, NH.  To maintain the purity of this blog, I won’t pollute it with any mention of New Hampshire!

Portland