Farm Hand

Bowdoinham Travel Blog

Ed's bee hives.

Ed stays up late getting things done on-line (he is a VERY active eco-warrior) and told me I should return around 10 AM Sunday morning.  That afforded plenty of time to get a run in, so I did an eight mile loop down Pork Point Road to Route 24 and back up Browns Point Road.  Then it was back over to Ed’s for eggs and bacon (perfect finish for a Pork Point slog) before tackling the fields.

Phew, a full day of exertion.  After feeding Ed's bees (early in the season and he is getting the colonies started) it was on to the main project was ripping out an old fence line.  There were three separate sections and I started the first stretch solo.  Part one was cutting the wires and rolling up the strands, then jerking all of the posts out.

Ed hooking a chain on to a post to yank it out with his trusty Kubota...you can see the "field of beams" remaining to be plucked.
  Ed was destined to join me with his Kubota tractor to extract posts after accomplishing some other chores, but I figured it might be quicker if I could yank them out solo.  Well, it was strenuous work for an old man, but I managed to clear over half of the buggers (about eight feet in length, three feet buried beneath the earth).

Ed and I continued in tandem and the day moved quickly.  The last step was collecting the entire mess and relocating to a dump pile.  There were only eight posts laying in the field when we finally called it a day at 7:30P.  I returned to the apartment for a badly needed shower (and to pull a tick off), then back to Ed’s for dinner.  My host whipped up a tasty sausage and pasta feast which we savored while having a heart-to-heart about his upcoming treatment and prospects.

Despite being bushed, we drug out Ed’s slide projector and vintage screen (took us a few minutes to decipher how to get the sucker set up) for a picture presentation of Ed’s first visit to Iceland back in the 1970’s.  I had asked him to share his photos due to the upcoming trip, and they were fabulous.  Just to reinforce what an intrepid traveler Ed is – he ventured over to Iceland with $700 in his pocket in April of 1978.  Scoring welding jobs and a stint on Iceland's Avalanche Rescue Squad, Ed returned to the US six months later after camping all over the island with $300 in his pocket!   His biggest surprise was that his rescue squad team members didn’t know how to Telemark.  Although he gave them lessons, he was the only to have telemark skis (he was also the only one waxing his skis) and the instructions didn’t ‘stick’.

A great day!

joehobo says:
Vance your comment deserves a :) :) :) :)
Posted on: Jun 08, 2014
vances says:
They were well bee-haved, Bill - no stinging criticism over what was served for dinner, at least that was the buzz.....
Posted on: Jun 08, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Did the bees bee-have when you fed them?
Posted on: Jun 07, 2014
Eds bee hives.
Ed's bee hives.
Ed hooking a chain on to a post to…
Ed hooking a chain on to a post t…
Bowdoinham