More from Berlin

Berlin Travel Blog

We took another great tour today.  I think I've learned more about Berlin in two days than I have learned about Nashville in 11 years.  Rather than go into all the great stuff we saw and did (it was the spy tour to give you a hint)  I'll just ramble on with some general observations I've been putting together.

We have been amazed at the number of people who speak English very, very well in Europe.   Those that don't have a command of the language seem to have at least the basics and are willing to try it out.  We got really turned around in one of the big stations here in Berlin this afternoon.  I stopped and asked a 20 something for help.  Though she pointed downstairs and but said upstairs...she was willing to help out and a least understood my plea for directions.   Most menus have been in English as well.

I get frustrated though not being able to communicate as well as I would like.  We kind of muddled through Milan with Matt's latin and Bri and my's fractured Spanish....but German is a different story.  It is hard to believe that English is a Germanic language.  I can't imagine being in another country more than a few weeks without learing the language.

I have finally gotten over (well, for the most part) the East vs. West Berlin thing.  The boys were looking in the guidebook for places to eat and asked if I cared whether we went to the east or west.  It finally dawned on me that the demarcation was truly gone in this city....remembered, but now non existent.  The other thing is that the entire city has color.  I guess I just had the black and white images seared in my brain.  This city is anything but lacking in vibrancy and color.

Got to internet ticket is almost up for tonight.

photo by: CFD