Settling In & Shadowing

Suwon Travel Blog

So the week after my training ended I wanted to go to the school a couple times during the week and see what it was like actually teaching all the stuff i just crammed into my brain.  Then spend the rest of the week getting my apartment together, prepping my classes, and finding out where things were in town.  Lets just say that my franchise had something different in mind.

The Friday night I got in they set me down and told me how a lot of the things I was taught they didn't do, or that they did differently.  After that they asked if I wanted to go out to dinner.  I politely declined because all I really wanted to do was go to sleep.  I get to my apartment and to be honest it scared the living daylights out of me.  The entrance wasn't lit and I dont get off work till 10 and then I still have paperwork and dinner with coworkers so most nights I don't get home till after midnight.  Then the apartment was dirty.  Food had been left in the cabinets and fridge smelled like something died in it.  It was cold because they hadn't turned of the heat and I was tired.  I pulled out my blanket and pillow that I had brought from home and laid down.  It was about at this time that everything hit me.

I was in a foreign country for a year, there was a good chance I might hate my job, and I MOST definitely hated my apartment.  One of the cools things about South Korea is the floors in most apartments are heated.  I couldnt stay warm on the bed so I pulled my blanket down to the floor and sleep there the first night.  Actually I cried myself to sleep the first night.  That morning I woke up, back hurting and eyes bloodshot red then proceeded to cry some more.  I found some free wireless and I emailed my family to let them know I had passed training.  I then cried again.  That weekend was kind of blurry because I spent most of it with tears in my eyes.

Shawdowing wasn't too bad.  I tried not to look like too much of a new teacher, otherwise the kids will chew you up and spit you out.

dolcetlb says:
I think it's fantastic that you're in South Korea teaching. Based on your blog, I take it that you're still there. How's it going? Would love to hear more when you have the time.
Posted on: Aug 14, 2008
jessieca63 says:
Wow, good luck!
I was in Ulsan last year teaching but at a hagwon (so no courses)...
I'm headed to Suwon in August for a few months of studying.
Posted on: Apr 14, 2008