Can't Get Right

Seoul Travel Blog

A superstar!

Let’s start at the beginning...on April 1st, 2007 many airlines changed their weight capacity for checked luggage on international flights.  It went from 70lbs to 50lbs.  Since I was going to be in South Korea and I wasn't sure what I would need I brought pretty much everything.  I knew I was going to have to pay an extra $50 per bag, plus another $130 because I was taking 3 bags.

The first bag weighed in at 64lbs, the second at exactly 70lbs, and the third bag well that’s another story.  It weighed 86 lbs and would cost me $304 to check.  So I stood in front of the check-in counter and pulled out 16 lbs worth of stuff.

Kangnam
  I stuffed some in my bag that wasn't quiet 70 and the rest I strapped to my back.  I should have known this was going to be an interesting trip.  I went to the wrong gate in the wrong terminal because the perforation on my boarding pass ran through the gate number.

By the time I actually made it to my gate I had missed my flight and was told that I was going to be flying into DWI and then SanFran.  When I got to the gate for check in I am told that I am at the wrong gate and that I would be flying to Chicago.  Luckily the gates were right next to each other so I didn't miss this flight.  I made it to Chicago with about 30 mins before my flight to San Fran.  I made it to San Francisco and this is where things go from bad to worse.

Kangnam

Before I left for Seoul I confirmed with United Airline my seating assignment.  A window seat in Economy Plus which comes with 5 extra inches of leg room.  Doesn't sound like much but on a flight from the US to Asia if feel like a mile.  So do you think this is where ended up, not even close.  I like window seats for three reasons:

1. I like to look out the window as we fly

2. I don't want people to have to climb over me every time they need to get up

3. When I sleep I like to be able to lean up against the wall instead of my neighbor

If you have never flown on a Boeing 777 the seating arrangements are like this: 2 seats, aisle, 5 seats, aisle then 2 more seats.  When I boarded the told me I had an aisle seat.  Okay not what I paid for but I figured if it was a two seater aisle seat then I would be fine.  Of course it was the aisle seat in the row of 5.  Once I get my bags into the overhead I go to sit down.  That is when the woman in the 3rd seat in the row of 5 asked if I would switch with her.  She said she had a bladder problem and didn't want me to have to keep getting up when she had to go.  So being the nice person that I am I told her I would switch and I sat to the right of her grandson who looked to be about 8 or 9.  So now I am in the one seat that I did not want.  When I first booked my ticket that was the only one left so I waited until a few days before I left to confirm my seat hoping something else would open up.   I lucked up and got Economy Plus window seat.

Was I in my window seat?!? NOPE

Was I even remotely close to a window NOPE I was in the center of the airplane.  I sucked it up though; there was an empty seat between me and the next passenger so at least I had that extra room.  Of course the flight was packed because it was the only one United had flying out of San Francisco to Seoul.  The dream of extra space was soon shattered when the flight attendant came up to the man asked him if he was flying alone.  He was flying by himself so she had him move one row back and who replace him was a woman flying with her 2 year old daughter and 8 month old son.  All I could do was look at the woman who was now in my seat and smile that all knowing smile.

Let recap, I am in the center seat the one I didn't want sitting next to a two year old and an 8 month old.  Lucky for me the little kid wasn't all that bad she was a pain for her mother the first hour but then again what 2 year old isn’t?  The baby boy did really well.  Most babies have problems when they pressurized the cabin but he was a trooper.  About an hour or two into the trip a flight attendant had me move one row up.  The mother originally requested a seat for her and her children where she could put down a floor bassinet because the son sleeps on his tummy.  So I had to give up my seat for to an 8 month old.  I ended up in a row where I swear the two kids next to me would wait till they say I was asleep to go get up for something.

Exhausted doesn't even explain how I felt when I landed in Incheon.  But I made it to the Coatel with all five of my bags and slept until three a clock the next day.

Look out for the next installment of Heart and Seoul "Lost Week"

Seoul