Brevity in Amsterdam

Amsterdam Travel Blog

Amsterdam was a stop on a much larger trip to Africa (blog forthcoming).  In total we probably only spent a little more than half a day there and were so tired from the flights from Memphis and Kilimanjaro that there was little time to take in much of the city.  In truth, Amsterdam wouldn't be a choice holiday spot for me, as I much prefer countryside but I did enjoy the time I stayed there.  Though not as much as I should have.

In June of 2006 my travel companions and I embarked on our summer globe trekking adventure, which started in Memphis, TN and stopped in Amsterdam, Kenya and finally to our destination of Tanzania.  Because of time constraints and the lack of enthusiasm of my traveling companions to do anything more than shop and smoke legal drugs, I can't say that I saw even a small offering of the city's sites.  What I did see, I enjoyed, however.  Schiphol itself is quite impressive and probably deserves half a day itself simply to look around the massive world hub.  There my story begins and we set off on the tram into the city centre.  It was our (I guess probably more *my*) plan to visit Rijksmusem whilst in A'dam-- Rembrandt's 400th birthday, how many times can you visit the museum on his centennial?  But alas, the satellite museum in Schiphol was as close as I got to seeing the vast impressiveness of Amsterdam's art culture.  We walked *by* the wax museum and saw some outdoor sculptures, toured the red light district but didn't take in a show, though when I inquired as to how much a show was to a promoter standing outside soliciting passers-by, I was told "about 12 inches," which was a funny and memorable bit of the trip.

Seeing all of the bikes parked anywhere imaginable truly was a spectacle.  Especially being from rural America where bikes are for hobby, not transportation.  The cobble stone streets and canals were beautiful and the old structures such as churches and the old buildings in the city centre were definitely a highlight from my perspective.

Unfortunately, this blog won't be very informative or particularly entertaining as aside from purchasing a penis salt shaker (I couldn't justify the expense of the matching 'pecker shaker' as just for one, the price was roughly 12 euro) and the brief match of wits I had with the promoter for the sex show.   Hopefully this will be only the first blog of my travels to Amsterdam, but for now, a few photographs...