The Idea of Africa...

Boston Travel Blog

The idea of Africa first started in the late winter months of 2005.  As I look back, I can't even remember where the idea came from.  Maybe it was the cold telling me to go where it was warm. or maybe it was my early childhood dream to go and see the animals I grew up watching on National Geographic TV specials.
Back in those cold months and first taste of real full time work, all I could think about was travel.  Working in an international travel company fueld that fire as we would swap travel stories.
I remember my manager asking us what we want to do with our bonus money.  She said the the bonus money was originally designed for us to use for travel to exotic or even commonplace destinations like Europe.  Everyone else's desire was for electronics, cars, a short vacation.  I knew I was going to use the money for a trip.  I just didn't know where.
One day the idea of Kilimanjaro came up and I stuck with it, working long hours trying to hit my goals to get my bonus money.
I also began researching Mt Kilimanjaro.  The whole point of the tirp was to climb Mt Kilimanjaro.  I am not the usual tourist...see museums do a tour of a city, etc.  I like active vacations and see how other cultures live.
I did a lot of research, read travel blogs, books and visited forums on Lonely Planet and Bootsnall.  The idea was slowly growing...

photo by: bubu932