I know my languages.... eh....

Landsmeer Travel Blog

Ik spreek mijn talen, that is the title in Dutch.
Ofcourse I cannot speak them all, but I know enough english to manage my way around various countries.
But then... there is Hungary, and the Hungarian language is so totally different from most European languages.... however I do know how to say "good morning", which is jo reggelt (Hungarian), and in some other languages: goeiemorgen (Dutch - ofcourse I know that one! however proper dutch is goedemorgen), Bon Matin (French), Gutenmorgen (German), Buenos Dias (Spanish).
Making the hotel reservations for Hungary caused some problems, the answers to our enquiry e-mails were written in poor english, saying "it is okay", and lots of Hungarian language as well from which I only could figure the word "angol" - which ofcouse means "english"
(Let's hope we do have made the reservations, and more specific let's hope we do have our rooms with private bathroom).

The first words in most languages I learn are food-related - (I love to cook) and I like sweets and desserts so much, thus I figured some of them in Hungarian, so I am prepared how to order these in a cukrászda (yes, a special place where you can eat pastries (gebakjes, taartjes - the place is called Konditorie in German and Austria).
Okay, there goes: Szerenték rétest, palacsitát és dobos tortát. My sister (who already knows the Hungarian abb "pu." did not know "how to make chocolate of this" (well, this may sound odd, but that is literally translate from a dutch saying "ik kan er geen chocola van maken", meaning that she really did not know what it was supposed to be). So when I heard her saying the word chocolate I said she was so right, because the Dobos tortá is a chocolate-caramel cake, a speciality from Hungary, and from what I've learned they got lots of those great sweets ! Rétes is Strudel (that is German word for it, I do not know any other word for this kind of pastry, but what I do know is they come with all kinds of filling, apple, poppyseed, cherries, to name a few. It seems the strudel in Slowakia are of high quality as well, when you know Slowakia was part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire that is not astonishing at all. (Maybe we should start with the rétes/strudel in Slowakia, we are close near Kosice, which was called Kassa when it was part of Hungary).
And ofcourse there are pancakes (palacsintá); the great invention of Gundel is word famous, these are pancakes with chocolate and walnuts, even thinking of it is mouthwatering already.

Ehhh.. I forgot Prague, I do not know much about Czech cuisine, but this one I remember: Hemenex, which stands for the english ham and eggs, and ofcourse that sounds tasty! And we must remember "Paneria", shops where you can buy ready-made sandwiches, we need to have some because we cannot buy lunch on our train for Slowakia.

I do not speak Romanian, but it is in the same group of languages as Italian, French or Spanish, so it does not sound (or should I say look) that strange.

And there is Austria where they do speak German, or at least a language which sounds like German. So if I say: Wir möchten ein Wiener Schnitzel verörberen, every Dutch person will recognize this look-a-like German, (and knows what you want to do) - let just hope the Austrian people also know. We have 4 hours in Vienna, so I think we have plenty of time for that dinner.

Tineke