Entering the coldness

Stratena Travel Blog

Laundry day, near Brezno, Slowakia

We left Banska Bystrica on the 10.08 train to Kosice. It was a beautiful ride. We followed a river, saw some people fishing for trout, other people did their laundry in the river.  I saw a whole family at the river, the smaller kids were playing in the water, the bigger ones were helping the mothers with the laundry; this might be a sign of poverty, but on the same time it is a good thing for family life.

We did not go that far, only 2 hours on the train, but got of at the station Dobsinska Ladova Jaskyna. Not much around there, actually the only building there was the station building, but we asked some people who were also at that station. It happened they had to go to the same pension we had our rooms, and they told us it was a bit further on, but no problem, there was a bus going there.

Station at Dobsinska Ladova Jaskyna
So we walked about 750 meters to the stop, took the bus, had to pay extra for our luggage but it still was an acceptable fare.
Our pension was actually in the settlement of Stratena, it was the only one I could find on the internet, but in that place there are several pensions, so if I go another time to this place, I won't bother making reservations in advance.

But it was the Dobsinksa Ice Cave we liked to visit, so once we were settled in the pension we wanted to take the bus to the cave. Unfortunately the last bus had gone, but the lady of the pension said we could get a train if we hurried. So we did, had to climb up the mountain, and were in good time before the last tour of 16.

00.
My ! When the gate opened it was cold, and that was only outside the cave, I was glad we dressed up in jeans, sweaters and coats.
We had to go down a lot of stairs (which is ususal when entering an ice cave), and what cold beauty was hidden inside the earth.
So glad my eyes could see it all and transported it to my memory, because my camera suffered from an instant cold, and refused to take pictures. I took some with my sister's camera, but that one is a bit old and it did not capture some pictures of the most beautiful ice shapes.

Once we got out the cave again it was so warm and humid, my glasses became dim.
We (the adults) took a little rest while the kids played hide and seek, and then walked down the mountain again to the road. Here we sat down at one of the restaurants, and had some dinner before we got on our train back to Stratena.

Once we were back in our pension we felt like some dessert (we did not had a sweet yet). It did not took long before the kids had fresh-baked pancakes, my sister had a pancake as well, but unlike the kids she ordered some filling with it. And I had strawberries, just poached, and served with a lot of cream - a delicious final of a most pleasant day.

Pension Safran, Stratena
Pension Safran, Stratena
Stratena Sights & Attractions review
Freezing cold in Summer
The Karst area in Slovakia has its deep hidden gems: flowstone and ice caves - a must see for the visitor to Slovakia. The caves are on the Unesco lis… read entire review
Stratena