Almost home

Amsterdam Travel Blog

River Rhine in the morning light, near Koblenz

We woke up early, why we did, don't tell me, because there was no need for it.
However.... I've been at Koblenz many years ago, on a daytrip from Luxemburg, I just wanted to see the river Rhine there again. (We've seen lots of the bigger rivers the past days).
So we were looking out of our window, and saw lots of lovely houses nested at the mountain side, but no river at all.
After having watched these villages for some time, we were puzzled why we did not see that river.
Well, blame it on the early morning hour, still sleepy maybe. Then my sister suddenly got the idea to look out of the other side. So we moved down the curtain panel of our compartment door, and yes ! River Rhine at dusky twilight !
We did ride alongside of it for some time already, probably all the time we were looking at the houses at the other side :)

After we arrived at Bonn we were quite awake.

Bonn Hbf
We heard something about a restaurant car attached to the train, so it was time for a cup of tea.
Now that we were almost home a plan came up to take pictures of all the station signs where we stopped, this went well till we got at Cologne Hbf. A bigger station, and yes, we did stop with no station sign in our reach. Well, maybe I can dig up one in the old files, after all, with all the Christmas markets we attend here, I probably have one.

But after Cologne we did a good job on the signs - till Utrecht, grrrr !
Our stewardess was curious about what we made pictures of, when there was nothing much to see actually. So I explained, and we had a small chat, she was originally from Hungary, now working at the Austrian Railways.

Ah, and then finally Amsterdam came into view. Train getting slower, all the familiar neighbourhoods, the IJ-waterway, the ferry which we had to take. And then the train stopped, and it was over, but so good to be back home again.

I like holidays very much, the first exciting day when you have to start your journey, and the last longing for home day when you get home again, both of those days are just great. And all the days in between are an experience to charish !

River Rhine in the morning light, …
River Rhine in the morning light,…
River Rhine near Bonn
River Rhine near Bonn
Dusseldorf Hbf
Dusseldorf Hbf
Duisburg Hbf
Duisburg Hbf
Oberhausen Hbf
Oberhausen Hbf
Emmerich trainstation at the Germa…
Emmerich trainstation at the Germ…
Station Arnhem