A bit of Surrey

Esher Travel Blog

Esher Churchyard Cemetery
I went to Esher (pronounce: Eesher) on a early morning with all my suit as I was going to have an interview to work there. I took the train and it went all fine, it was a lovely sunny day. As it was way nearer Putney than I had expected I was really early, so I walked into that tiny settlement. It was green and lovely, there were some historical building. So the settlement origin were not exclusively linked to an overflown of London.

Esher is right into the Green Belt of London, it is part of the Borough of Elmsbridge. The old church is dating from the Saxon time. although from the short walk I had in the town, that is all I can.

The interview went short and well, though I would never have any feedback from it ever. Which is annoying, I could have started working right away. But well.

You can read more about Esher here:

The rest of my day, I took the train back into London and was meeting with Tom from the agency at BBT. We talked and then later that day as I was enjoying the wonderful sunny day sitting at Trafalgar I got a call from the Youth Hostel as they were offering me a job as a day receptionnist. I didnt give an answer yet. As I would be wishing to get the job at Esher instead but now the problem was also that I would have a job through Reed Agency for Kingston Hospital during the day, so I was hoping to get the night job at the hostel to join both together. The Kingston Hospital job was a temporary 3 weeks but well paid, maybe something would come after, maybe not. The Youth Hostel job was stable but I had no idea of the salary. That would be an annoying dillema.

I finally decided to call the Youth Hostel later this week to accept the position and was to get a call back at the beginning of March about my starting days.

Esher Churchyard entrance
I went to fill up the logistic paper later this week but then was disappointed that they didn’t make me start yet. So it went until March before I actually started employment (damn). I would have well started right away; after all I was looking for work for such a long time.

So by beginning March I started my employment training at the YHA London Earl’s Court.

Esher Churchyard
I was starting in early morning (by 6ish) but with learning the transport and the use of waking up I made it just on time on my first day by running wild. That wasn’t well perceived but at least I was just thinking it was just then.

The day went ok and I trained with the computer system and taking some bookings as well as other elements of the hostel. My shifts were to be 5 days work and 2 days off but now I was to do 3 days. Sadly on my second day I overslept a bit over my alarm clock, which made me be 10 minutes late, and got quite told off. The girl I was working with wasn’t going to make it easy for me and I could immediately feel she didn’t like me so that was some shit start for a new ‘work’ time.

I was already being disappointed even more with it and quite sad that things always seem to be screwed up. What finally happened is that by a later shift, I swapped to work with someone else. But hopefully, I did end up having some discussion with that employee and at later time things calmed down.

So from now on my work will take a routine turn of being spending all my Wednesday - Thursday �" Friday evening and Saturday �" Sunday morning working. It will be pretty fine but I won’t have any social time left except for the middle of the week, which is at odd of all my friends. So I end up spending most of the winter/spring time just working and doing my clean up during my days off and not seeing anyone.

That was sad, and my hours were really really tiring.

Esher Green War Memorial
Especially the ones on Friday night where I arrived at home around 1am and needed to be back at the hostel by 6am.

Also lately, Celia did leave the flat. So we got a new flatmate coming in and she took my room so that I could migrate to Celia’s room; after some thoroughly washing of any wall and floor. It became a pretty much comfortable room. I had floor space, a tinier bed and some furniture as well as a closet. My old bedroom was just hell tiny, yet I had a large double bed but what for, it was just taking all the floor space (and not to say that now I had just moved to a corner of the flat so I wasn’t the middle room giving onto the kitchen anymore.)

I felt pretty comfortable on this room.

Esher old Saxon Church