Off to Berlin!

Austin Travel Blog

This is another one of my crazy trips to meet up with friends who are working an international convention abroad.  This year's convention is in Berlin, and I am so excited to get over there and see it.  Berlin has always been a dream destination -- so much history, so much culture.  Plus, this will allow me to keep my new year's resolution by visiting a new country again this year.  My friends and I looked at a lot of options -- St. Petersburg, Russia; Krakow and Warsaw, Poland; and Stockholm, Sweden.  In the end, we settled on Copenhagen, Denmark as I was able to find some cheap airfare there on Sterling Air's website.

I used my frequent flier miles to get to Berlin, and had enough to fly First or Business Class thanks to lots of business travel.  Because I used miles, I was at the mercy of the carriers' designated seats for non-revenue travel, so was sent to Chicago and on to London Heathrow on American Airlines, then British Airways on to Berlin Tegel airport.  The return was more convoluted -- Aer Lingus from Berlin Schonefeld to Dublin, Ireland; Aer Lingus again to Boston; then American to Chicago, and finally back to Austin.  It was a lot of time in the air, but worth it to be able to make the trip!

My flight to Chicago was uneventful -- Super 80, no meal.  The gentleman seated next to me was pretty interesting to speak with -- he's a sports writer for a national magazine -- writes about hunting and fishing.  He was on his way to Mackinaw Island on Lake Michigan to do a story on fishing for Coho Salmon there.

Had a three hour layover at O'Hare.  We were to leave for London at 9:50pm, but were delayed for about an hour due to air traffic and weather (typical of O'Hare).  My original flight plan was to fly into Gatwick, take a train to Heathrow, and then fly to Tegel -- thank goodness this one opened up, as the train intra-London sounded like a nightmare!  I think I have a cracked rib from a fall I had on a biking event last week, so lifting luggage is not a lot of fun right now.  My flight to Heathrow was awesome!  Boeing 777 with seats that fold down flat!  I had a delightful flight attendant named Deanne -- funny, attentive and not too intrusive.  The flight took about 7 hours -- I caught a 3 hour sleep after watching The History Boys on the video.  Deanne woke me up about an hour and a half out of Heathrow and I had an omelette and tea as we flew over Ireland as the sun was coming up.  Very beautiful skies!

sylviandavid says:
Tim you got spoiled on that flight! How wonderful for you..... fun to read..... Sterling Air.... I need to look that up..... take care. Sylvia
Posted on: Mar 28, 2008