New Year's Road Trip!

Austin Travel Blog

I love a good road trip, so when Scott Ballew (aka Pepe) suggested that we go out to West Texas for New Years, I was on board!  The original plan was for two other friends to join us, Greg (gregself on TravBuddy) and Ethan.  Both had to bow out due to work issues, so it was just Pepe and me.

We left Austin about 11am and took my FX45 for the trip.  We drove out US 290 to Fredricksburg, and contined on 290 to Interstate 10 all the way across to Fort Stockton.  We had to stop here to pick up some groceries for Scott's Aunt, Libby.  We are going to stay at her place up in the Fort Davis Mountains just south of the town of Fort Davis.  After picking up a few things, it was back on Interstate 10 for a bit longer, then south on US 17 at Balmorhea to Fort Davis.  It was 430 miles in total, and took us a little less than six hours.  The posted speed limit on I-10 out here is 80mph, the highest allowed speed in the nation!  You can really fly out here in West Texas.

When we got to the dirt road turn off to Libby's place, Scott rang her up and she came down the mountain to lead us up.  It was a steep climb on a rough dirt road --- but spectacular views.  It was not like anything I had ever seen in Texas before -- real mountains and clear sky with amazing stars!  No wonder the McDonald's Observatory was built out here!

peruana28 says:
Hello Tim owwwwwww it was a complity nice landscape there Hmmm climbing on a rough ohhh i wouls love to play with the snow again hmmm here in lima never snow bt we got biggest mountain. you had a really vacation there that´ best memories en la vida para recordar por siempre y para siempre :)Tim if you can not understand my Spanish just ask me Amugo :)
saludos, Jenny