Eye Opener

New York Travel Blog

My first plane flight overseas

It was an eye opener. A wonderful experience. Totally unexpected.

Having your company right size the division yet giving you the opportunity to be on probation with a different one overseas. With the fabulous necessity of going to driving school and purchasing business outfits on company budget. Having your visa approved and breezing through immigration without difficulty despite the fact that there are a lot of reasons to get denied, I felt damn lucky. Flying out in 3 weeks record time to unfamiliar territory, faced with unfamiliar figures.

On flight for a day, enduring the barely tolerable airline food. Overly carrying 1 large sized, 1 medium sized luggage and a full backpack. Speaking guiltily in pure english all throughout to avoid inquisitive fellowmen.

At work less than 8 hours after I arrive in the city
2 lengthy stopovers at Taiwan and Seattle Immigration before finally getting to the Jersey airport.

Reaching it at midnight, arriving earlier than the set time, I was in a slight panic not knowing who was going to pick me up from the staffhouse. With a fellow Filipino sweetly lending me her mobile phone I was able to confirm that a few guys were already driving their way to get me. With an exciting introduction from me and a few sleepy responses from them I got off the staffhouse and was instructed to haul my luggage to the 3rd floor.

My roomie was ironically a colleague who was working under my team before it got downsized. She had an issue with me before she got moved to this division which I thought all along we had already settled back home. Apparently not. With her rousing from sleep I got to a bit of polite chitchat and instructions that I had to get my butt up and dressed in 6 hours for a client meeting in New York.

Without anytime for jetlag I was up and exchanging courtesies and smiles with clients in 8 hours. I was with our pregnant marketing representative who I could barely harass to go tourist sightseeing too much, this being my first time to set foot in the city that never sleeps. My twisted adventure begins.

My first plane flight overseas
At work less than 8 hours after I …
At work less than 8 hours after I…