Delta to Anchorage

Anchorage Travel Blog

I'm not afraid to step into a DL-747 and strap myself into the seat.   Today my mind was filled only with good thoughts.  This was to be a nine-day dream vacation for me, primarily because I was sharing it with my youngest daughter, Leigh Ann.  Just three weeks earlier, her father and I had watched her walk across the floor of the Coleman Coliseum in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, to receive her college diploma.  Now she was sitting beside me in quiet repose as we taxied along the tarmac.

Atlanta to Anchorage non-stop.  Leigh was a sweetheart and gave me her window seat.    Hour after hour clicked by and soon we were flying over blue water.  The day was so incredibly clear, I could see cruise ships, dozens of them, far below.   It was like watching ants crawl along the sidewalk.  Each ship was carrying thousands of individuals on their "trip of a lifetime."  Some were going north and some were going south.  Each ship was floating along in its own little world, unaware that it was being watched from 40,000 feet above.   I was mesmerized with these tiny toys but soon left them far behind.    Now the magnificent, snow-covered mountains caught my attention.   I felt like I was watching an IMAX movie except this was no movie screen.   Stretching out in front of my eyes was one mountain range behind another with seemingly no end.   So this was Alaska.

We touched down in Anchorage and soon found ourselves gathering our luggage from the conveyor.  A short bus ride took us right to the front door of our motel.   Our guide for the next five days, Richard Montagna, met us in the lobby for a question-and-answer session.   He explained the luggage situation and suggested that we "downsize" and leave our large suitcases here at the motel.  We would be returning in five days and the manager at the desk said our suitcases would be perfectly safe with them and for us not to worry.   Leigh and I put our heads together and managed to pack everything into one bag except for her camera equipment, which had a designated case of its own.  We left nothing of real value in our bags, just in case they did get stolen while we were away.    Richard told us to meet him in the lobby the next morning at 8 o'clock sharp, ready to load up and get on down the road.  Leigh and I were both excited about this trip and couldn't wait to get started.
jenn79 says:
Congrats on your daughter's graduation! I'm glad you dragged her along, she'll remember it forever =)
Posted on: Feb 11, 2008
cheritraveler says:
I did that trip with my oldest daughter :=)
Posted on: Feb 04, 2008
X_Drive says:
I can't wait until 2011 when we get to go to Alaska. This looks like a good trip so far. :)
Posted on: Feb 03, 2008