EuropeItalyRome

Leaving Italy and it's snowing?? Maybe I won't be leaving afterall!

Rome Travel Blog

The snow on the mountainsides on my way to the airport!
Tiziana, Marcello and Claudio drove me back to the Fiumicino Airport in Rome.  Chieti actually was fog-free that day.  However, as we went further west and closer to the Lazio-Abruzzo border we found SNOW!   yes SNOW!  I mean snow to the point it was BLIZZARD SNOW!  We got to a point through the mountains where we came out of a tunnel and it was at least 3-4 inches on the ground and had to go through another tunnel and came out and there was nothing sticking to the ground.  I took a couple of pictures from the car of the snowy mountainsides but unfortunately didn't come out well.

We arrived in Rome with no problems.  I also saw a huge 5 gram Nutella jar that I was really tempted to buy at the autogrille near the airport!  haha...could you imagine walking onto the plane with that huge bottle??  haha...  Anyway, Fiumicino doesn't allow visitors to come with you to stand in line.  They have to wait in a special area.  Actually the police at the doors were funny and would look at the passport and speak to you either in italian or english (depending if you were giving them an Italian or American passport).  He asked me in English where I was going and I answered him in Italian and told him that if he wanted to that he could speak Italian.  He laughed and said it was easier.

This time around the security line looked short and I was able to spend time with my sister before I had to go through it.  The trip back was just as uneventful as the trip going.  No crying babies.  This time it was Americans returning to the USA after vacations in Italy.  Had to tell the customs guy that I was declaring "just chocolate." My bags were waiting for me this time rather than me waiting for my bags.  Also, I had people waiting for the phone call "to come get me I'm here."  My parents were at the airport in 10 minutes. (yep I live that close!)

I'm planning a July 2009 trip.  It will be a month long.  I will spend a week travelling Northern Italy:  Florence, Venice, Milan, Pisa, etc.  Then I will spend the rest of the time in Serra and maybe spend a week in Sicily

sylviandavid says:
I found Nutell at Longs drugs and bought it for our girls.... They were thrilled as they loved it in Italy!.... Great blog.... fun trip!
Posted on: Feb 02, 2008
applesandcandy says:
LOL-you know i would have scooped up that jar of nutella and brought it home with me.
Do you have any of that chocolate with pepper?
I want to try it.
Posted on: Jan 31, 2008
The snow on the mountainsides on m…
The snow on the mountainsides on …
Rome