Day trip to Bratislava

Bratislava Travel Blog

We got up and hit the trains, out to Slovakia, only takes about an hour out of Vienna. for 99% of the trip, its just wide open farm land, dotted with the odd farm building. Quite picturesk.

When we pull into the trainstation, if you have ever seen the movie where they visit Bratislava, its almost dead on. looks like it was all built at the start of the cold war, dull gray concrete, all chiped and crumbling, graffiti everyware. looks a real dump.

then you get in a tram, and head to the town centre. and man what a change! the place is fricken awesome! whole streets dedicated to pubs, where each pub has a sort of stage, with seats and shade etc, the actual pub is underground, and the waiters come up and serve you.
beer costs around $2-3nz and it comes in 500ml bottles.

little shops everywhere, reasturants that serve yummy food. and buildings from the days of muskets and cannons.

By now, ive been noticing that German woman over the age of 40, all seem to colour their hair a sort of fanta orange. its quite... disturbing. out here in bratislava, they seem to like a dark maroon red...
but the younger generation, mmmm spectacular! I'm supprised my neck dosnt hurt from looking left and right all the time!

After we headed back to vienna, we went out for more drinks / dinner at a local bar, I ordered the chicken salad, which was like more chicken than salad! and a beer, and was able to pay for it out of the spare change i had in my pocket, which is a big change as the rest of Vienna is quite expensive.
photo by: EmyG