Chuuk Travel Blog

 › entry 3 of 5 › view all entries
It is amazing the wreaks we are diving. It's like an underwater museum. Like I have mentioned before most of these wreaks are over 100 feet deep. Actually there are a lot more that are much deeper. Diving those wreaks requires specialized training and gas mixes. It is amazing how many things are still intact. One of the freaky things is you can stumble across human remains. On one dive we go into the engine room and just off to the side is a mechanical room. It has work benches and tools laying everywhere. There is an air compressor which is named R2D2 because it kind of looks like the droid from Star Wars. There is also storage rooms on either side of the mechanical room filled with supplies.
The second time we dove this wreak I was leading two other guys because I was very comfortable with the layout of the ship. I spied a diver going down a hatch the led very deep into the ship. I turned around and let the other two guys to wait here and now follow me. When diving a wreak is it important that you do not go into the wreak unless you have been trained. Once inside there isn't any light other that what you bring and if you stir up the silt it will make it impossible for your light to penetrate and you cannot get your bearings. There have been many deaths from dive who weren't trained dying by going places they shouldn't have. I knew the dive was one of the crew and know what and where he was going. He indicated for me to follow him. Now this man has a slim build. I however do not have a slim build. I am built more like a tank. As I was following the guide I had to wiggle through the companion way to go forward. We ended up in the very bottom of the ship which was 150 feet. It was freaky in there. you couldn't see anything except where your light was pointed and even then it was difficult to follow the guide. He showed me what at first I thought was a box but ended up being a phone booth. The phone booth was so the engineer could talk to the bridge and shut out some of the noise. I then followed him through the bowels of the ship and we started back up from a different direction. Again I had to wiggle in order to get through. Even though it was a freaky experience I loved it. It was when we were doing our decompression stop I noticed that the T shirt I was wearing was now rust colored instead of white. On the deck of the boat my BC was completely covered with red mud (rust). It took over three years and probably 200 dive for the rust to finally wash off of my BC.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: kchrist454