The flight

Chuuk Travel Blog

 › entry 1 of 5 › view all entries
I start my day getting up at 4 am to make a 6am flight from Phoenix to LA. Upon check in I was grateful that the reservation agent for America West was able to check my bags from Phoenix all the way to Chuuk. I was one of the only people in a part of 12 who didn't have to goto baggage claim in LA to pick up thier bags and lug them to another terminal.  Things went well with our check in from LA to Chuuk, except for one of our party was flagged as a potential terroist. Charlie is the opposite of what a terroist is supposed to look like but it seems where ever we go Charlie has some type of travel issue. All checked in and boarded the flight from LA to Hawaii wasn't too bad. We had a 3 hour layover in Hawaii.
So with this group it means we find a bar. A three hour lay over is plenty of time to catch a nice buzz if there is an airport bar handy. Of course there was one handy. I mean what is a vacation if you cannot enjoy an adult beverage. From Hawaii to Guam is a different story. I had taken some medicine that was supposed to help me sleep on the plane. I took 4 pills when we left LA and that didn't do anything. Then having the beers on our layover didn't help either. However 4 more pills and two more beers and I was finally to sleep or as Chuck said I passed out. From Hawaii to Guan is a long flight and I am happy I was at least able to sleep part of the way. At least I think I got some sleep. From Guam it was a short 2 hour ride to Chuuk. We arrived at 3am and were bussed right away, it was an interesting ride. The locals for some reason came up to the buss and started slapping the side of it.  We made to our boat the Trukk Oddessy and were given room assignments. I was lucky in the fact that I had my own room and didn't have to share. If you have been on live aboard dive boats you usually don't get your own room so it was a luxury.
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!
photo by: kchrist454