The Peninsula for High Tea

Hong Kong Travel Blog

The Peninsula from Salisbury road.

Today we qued for around forty minutes just to have the rather sublime experience of taking tea and scones in what is definately the most luxurious hotel in the HK area. The Peninsula is very much the jewel in the crown of the city's five-star hotel industry. The Pen as it is more affectionately known is a destination in its own right and its no surprise that royalty from around the world choose to stay here whenever they're in town. The hotel is extremeley elegant with impeccable service. The wait to be seated for tea is definately worth it, and once you actually have your seat then soak up the experience and stay for as long as possible. As we did.  Tea is served in fine English crockery and silver service pots and jugs. We ordered the English tea for four from the menu which included several plates of patisseries, sandwiches and cakes.

Another shot of the Pen.
By the time I had munched my way through the umpteenth cake I was starting to feel a slight sugar rush.

Definately not a good idea when leaving the Pen is going over the road and visiting the space museam. The museam part itself is fine, but we deciced to visit the 'Stanley Po theatre' which is like a giant IMAX screen projected onto a circular domed ceiling. We watched a 45 minute film about Speed, narrated by Tim Allen and at the end I was feeling decidely queesy. The indulgence of high tea at the Pen was starting to repeat on me and I spent the rest of the day with a very sensitive stomach.

However that said, definately go and have tea in the hotel. Many an hour could happily be spent  taking in the ambience of it all, and it is most definately one to do time and time again.

Mmmm. Sugar Rush.
Mmmm. Sugar Rush.
The fine elegance of the Pen.
The fine elegance of the Pen.
Hong Kong