Visiting Machu Picchu

Machu Picchu Travel Blog

Machu Picchu in the fog

Well after five days of trekking, we finally made it to Machu Picchu and it is absolutely one of the most incredible sites I have been to (which as most of you know are a fair amount…)  We arrived really early in the morning, and while there was no great sunrise to speak of, seeing the ruins shrouded in mist was amazing.  The fact that the Inkans managed to build it and all of the other sites like Ollantaitambo and Sacsayhuman with the precision they did back in the 1400’s and that they were really only in power for a little over one hundred years seems bizarre.

Americo gave us a very thorough, several hour tour and description of the history and culture of the Inkans and the various Machu Picchu buildings (altars, churches, terraces, houses, etc.) and then the four of us wandered around the sanctuary, eventually hiking up to the Sun Gate which is one of the two entrances to Machu Picchu.

Machu Picchu Terrace
  My knees actually handled this quite well which was a good thing as I was not really opting to be a non-virginal sacrifice to the Inkan gods from the precipice of the Sun Gate where we were having lunch.  Come to think of it, at one point heading back down, I did start to slide precariously close to the edge and chastised Cindy for trying to grab me and stop my descent • hey, if I am gonna croak at one of the wonder’s of the world, I would at least like her to survive to tell everyone about it J

My knees opted to take the bus down the hill to Aguas Calientes instead of walk and, just to make me feel less manly, as the bus started the descent, a nine or ten year old kid dressed in traditional Inkan garb started yelling “Hello! Hello!” at the bus and proceeded to run down the really steep, uneven steps between the switchbacks, generally beating us and waiting to gleefully chant at each switchback.

Llama at Machu Picchu
  At the bottom of the hill, he got on the bus and received a huge round of applause and probably more money in tips than both his parents make.  I figure he was the bus driver’s kid ;-)

Once back in Aguas Calientes, we had lunch (and an ice cold beer J) and then headed to the train station to catch the train back to Cusco.  Four hours later, we were happily back in Cusco with a hot shower (and more beer) waiting.

Machu Picchu from above