Off Seasons

Orlando Travel Blog

This was my second offseason/offweek trip to the Orlando Theme Parks and I can't stress enough the importance of knowing exactly what you're in for when you schedule your getaway.  Before booking my flights and hotel, I generally trip on over to AllEars.Net and check out what the "historic attendance" for the time frame I'm looking at will be.

The Lowest Attendance --

1. January Other than New Year's Day until the  Presidents' Day 3 Day Weekend in February
  2. The week after Labor Day until the week before Thanksgiving
  3. The week after Thanksgiving until mid-December (when colleges get out and winter breaks start).

I've visited Walt Disney World for 6 days and 5 nights in Early September and didn't wait more than ten minutes for any one ride during my entire stay.  I just visited Universal for 3 days and 2 nights in the last week of January (a week after most college kids returned to school) and didn't wait at all in Universal thanks to short lines and my "VIP Front of the Line Hotel Guest Pass".

The timing of your trip can really save you a lot of hassle if you're trying to get a lot of things done in a limited amount of time.  Universal Studios and its companion park Islands of Adventure really shouldn't take more than two days.  On this last trip we spent three there, but we were really taking our time and doing some of our favorite things over and over again.

I think I'm Orlando'ed out now for awhile, but I will definitely be making a swing through there once Universal Studios opens its Simpsons ride in April of 2008.  I'll just have to think of a good enough excuse.  I'm thinking late april would be the best time, right after spring break and right before most colleges start finals.  There aren't too many families taking vacations in April; of course I'll have to check AllEars.Net to be sure.

Orlando